Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

speaker rig setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Aug 27, 2004.

1. 2x10/2x10

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. 1x15/1x15

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. 2x10/1x15

16 vote(s)
    72.7%
  1. which do you think would work the best for blues/rock and would be the loudest?

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Generally speaking, of the choices you offered, I'd do the 2X10 / 1X15 thing but that might depend on the sound you want. Don't be afraid to try everything even if you don't think you'll like it. You could wind up with a cabinet(s) that might surprise you.

That's what happened to me. It never occured to me to own 2 1X12 cabinets but that's just what I've got. They're just perfect for my needs.

3. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    another vote for the 2x10/1x15. I have the same combination and I love the tone (marshall/Aguilar) but I use mine in a rock band (similiar to Yes).

4. thanks guys!

5. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    Think about a 2X12 or a pair of 2X12.

6. I think my 2x12 and 1x15 configuration would be perfect for blues/rock. i use mine for classic rock and I love it. It has that room vibrating kind of low end but has better clarity than your typical 2x15 type rig.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    a lot of it really depends on the voicing of the particular cabinets
    i votd for the 2 10's and a 15 just cause it's probably the most versatile all things being equal - generally that setup sounds better full range rather than biamped
    the 2x12 route isnt bad either
    then again 4 tens really rock
    and of course 2 fifteens has the booty
    :D

8. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Another vote for 1x15 plus 2x10. Biamped, of course.

9. Another vote for 2x10 & 1x15, NOT biamped. Full range through both cabs.

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    even the nice folks at swr told me they only put a crossover on their amps cause biamping was a craze in the 80s
    (on bass rigs - not pa, pa is a whole different animal)
    they said that they much prefered the sound of all of their speakers run full range
    having tried bi amping with a bunch of different makes, i agree
    full range is so much better in most cases (just bi amp and listen to how silly your 2x10 sounds by itself)

11. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Hmmm...maybe I'll push that switch and try them together. I guess it makes sense, but then again the logic of biamping makes sense, too. Thanks for the info, Ben & Mike...now I've got to spend ANOTHER 4 hours EQ'ing the rig in full-range mode... :(

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The most traditional (?) answer here would be 2x15, but I've always had problems with a system that didn't have at least a couple of 10" drivers in it.
    I prefer a punchier sound regardless of the music style. [Plus, 15" are harder to hear closer up -- most of them anyway.]

I had a custom cab w/2 JBL D140-F early on and I remember them as fairly punchy for 15".
    I then got a 2x10 combo (Nemesis NC210-P).
    Then a cab with 1x12 + 2x10 + tweeter (Bergantino HT322).
    Now I have a 4x10 (Schroeder 410).

All these sounded (sound) good doing Blues.
    I think you can get a good Blues sound out of almost any competent cabinet with a bit of EQ'ing.