Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Headtripus, Aug 5, 2003.

1. I'm a talkbass nub, so if this post is out of place or anything, my apologies.

My friend Steve has experience building cabinets, so I asked him to help me out. I need to provide the speakers, and now I'm wondering what a good setup would be. I have about $350 to spend on speakers. I've considered the following suggestions:

four 10" speakers
    two 18" woofers and two 12" speakers
    four 10" speakers and a 15" woofer
    two 12" speakers ans two 15" inch speakers

I currently use a GK800rb head, which can be bi-amped to provide 300W for low end and 100W for high-end bass. Could somebody please recommend a speaker setup to me? Thank you!

2. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
  3. thumbtrap

thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    Use the search Luke.

There are still very good reasons to build your own. But seldom any very good reasons for someone else to build you something that's available off the shelf. Building for fun is a good reason, but having someone else do the building nixes that one.

You'd be hard pressed on your budget to do better than an Avatar 115/210 pair, or a 410 cab depending on your preferences.

4. If I buy the speakers seperately and have my cab built for me, then I know how good the speakers I'm using are, and I can get it all done for cheaper. The cab is being made for free because me and Steve are in a band together.

Just thought I'd defend my decision, thanks for the reply man.

5. Get a 410 and the 15. If you get speakers get some of the eminece speakers off of a speakers website. Their are many out there. The delta 10's and Kappa lf 15 would be good. A total of 2000 rms watts.

6. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    There's a lot more to building speaker cabs than building a wooden box and slapping some drivers in it. Do a search here for "cabinet building" for a start.

7. Bi66er, if I have a total of 2000w rms from my speakers, and a head that can only supply a maximum of 400 rms, that's overkill, right? I don't know these things, somebody explain please!

8. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Speaker wattage rating is the capacity that the speaker will take, not what is required to drive it.

You can run a 1000 watt speaker with a 100 watt amp with no problems. It just won't be as loud as it could be. Sure, it is more capacity than you currently need, but it's nice to have some room to move up to a higher wattage amp without requiring a whole new rig.

It is not a good idea to run a 100 watt speaker with a 1000 watt amp. You can pretty safely run twice the wattage - a 200 watt amp with a 100 watt speaker. In fact, this is generally recommended to get the best sound possible ,but you have to be a bit careful about not clipping the power amp at all.

9. thumbtrap

thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    I've built cabinets before. I'll build cabinets in the future. I'm planning to do it again real soon. But it's just not 1) economical or 2) fun to build an exact duplicate of a commercially available cabinet.

Thumbtrap's #1 Rule of DIY is: You can not build a commercial quality item for less than you could buy it, unless the item is not commercially viable. This means, can I build a 60w 112 bass amp for less than I can buy a crate? Nope not on your life. Can I build a 400w tube amp for less than I can buy a Mesa Boogie? Probably not - and it'd be an all summer long project. (And I have built tube amps from scratch before.) Bgavin's space heater subs? Perhaps - though he still spent a lot of money on drivers alone. But 30hz subs that require amps with 3 phase power are not exactly commercially viable.

From what you said earlier, you're not looking for anything unusual. There's used Peavey's and there's Avatars that would fit the bill quite nicely. Eminence Delta 10b for $67 each, $3.65/yd for carpet, $3 for corners, $15 for 4 grilles, $2 for jacks/plate, L-pad, tweeter, and cap for crossover figure $30, and we're already up to $355 and we haven't paid the UPS driver, bought the plywood, glues, screws, and contact cement at Home Depot, or bought beer for your bud. Meanwhile, Dave would have a 410 sitting on your doorstep for $397 inside of a week.

Meanwhile there's a Peavey 115VX on ebay with a buy it now price of $195, a Carvin 410 currently at $76, and a Peavey 210TFX for $185.

10. The deal with the rms wattage of the speakers and the rms wattage of the head is simple. Just make sure that the bass head doesn't put out any more watts than the speakers can handle at rms wattage. The actuall handling capacity of a cab that has 400 rms (continous) wattage would probably have a total handling capacity of 800 watts. Never go over that 800 watts other wise you may blow out some speakers. So having 2 cabs that together can take 2000 rms watts is a good thing. You can always upgrade your bass head and because these speakers are so good then all you really have to worry about is the head. Also make sure that the nominal independence of the speakers never exceeds the nominal independence of the bass head. So don't put 2 4ohm cabs on a head that can take only 4ohm's, you would need to use 2 8 ohm cabs to proberly fit the head.

But when buying a speakers and constucting a cab more expensive or cheaper doesn't really mean a thing. The avatar 410 really kills most other cabs in the same price rang and up to $800. Research the speakers first too and learn about them. Eminence makes all different kinds of speakers and tells you all of the different aspects of that speaker and what they mean. It may take some reading but in the end you'll be happier. Don't buy something just because it's cheap or because it's expensive and looks wizzy.

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I agree with the Avatar recmdtn. (Delta B212 + B210).

If you insist in DIY, none of the above; recommend 2x12 + 2x10. Good low end + punch.

12. thumbtrap

thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    Of the configurations he's considering, the only one he can get for close to $350 is the 410.

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Depends...he said $350 for raw speakers, unless he's getting the enclosure material for free, there has to be more money somewhere (well, he didn't say raw, but that's the conclusion I jumped to).

14. thumbtrap

thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    Sorry, I was comparing Avatars to Avatars, as were you in your previous post.