1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speaker Size

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by musicbikeman, Aug 17, 2009.

1. musicbikeman

musicbikeman

Aug 10, 2009
    Michigan
    Hello, I am new to this whole bass forum thing, but I'd like to elevate my playing, and I'm trying this. I was just wondering what is the best speaker size? I have listened to 10s, 12s and 15s, but I just want some outside opinions on the matter. Thanks so much!

2. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Hey, if you try the search button, you will find tons of info. Personally, I like 15's, but sensitivity is much more important than many other factors, make sure to pay attention to that.

http://www.timeelect.com/400-faq.htm#7. Why does the 400-PS have three 145 watt (long version)

Check out that link, it gives some math behind 15's and 10's, and I like the points it presents. Look at question #7, long version.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The choice of speaker size is pretty much just a matter of personal preference. Many bass players like a bunch of 10's, (at least a 410), while I'm a big fan of 15's, (2x15). And then, there's the 12's, a more recent player in the bass speaker assortment, and a really good choice. I sometimes use a 2x12 and really enjoy the fullness of the sound. But, cabinet design plays a huge role in how a speaker sounds, much more so than the size of the speaker. Best bet is to go out and play everything, see what YOU think.

4. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    The diameter of a speaker is only one of many factors that goes into how a cab sounds. Since cone diameter is obvious, and most other important factors are not, we tend to attribute this or that tonal characteristic to the diameter of the cone. This would be like attributing the performance of an automobile to the diameter of the tires.

Unless you want to learn a bunch of technical stuff (which fascinates geeks like me but bores most musicians), probably the best way to judge the performance of either bass cabs or cars is to test-drive a lot of them.

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

+1, like, what's the best kind of woman, blond, redhead, Asian, brunette......... :D