1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speaker specs on the Avatar 115 that's coming out in the next couple of weeks

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChrisAlan, Apr 21, 2010.

1. ChrisAlan

ChrisAlan

Dec 27, 2009
    I had emailed Dave to ask which Eminence driver will be in that cabinet and he said it'd be the ceramic 500 watt delta 15LF.

Is anyone able to find the pdf on that one or is it the same thing as the delta 15LFA?

I'd just like to see the response curve on that speaker.

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    This http://www.eminence.com/pdf/delta-15lfa.pdf is the delta15LF. It's a good lowend speaker but it really needs to be paired with a mid speaker or a horn that plays low and can be padded back. If you put this in a regular bass cab with a tiny tweeter, you'll have big bottom...then a hole from 2k-4k, then the uberhighs from the tweeter. Just spending about 30 seconds thinking about it, I'd say they'd sound like some folks impressions of and SWR head, big lows, high highs, and a hole in the middle.

They do like a little bigger box to not get a big boom bump but without even looking at the sight, I'd say they're probably in a box about the volume of their 210. Not that it's all bad, that thing could likely play a gig that a 112 can't.

Maybe this is the beginning of people realizing that if you're going to play bass, a single 12" speaker isn't going to cut it, no matter how damn good it is...."that'll be the day".

3. According to a previous thread the new 15 and the 15/10 boxes will be the same dimensions as the current 212 and 410.

Mike

4. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I think they are planning on a 2-way with a mid driver~

5. ChrisAlan

ChrisAlan

Dec 27, 2009
    I have a true biamp rig and made the mistake if getting
    the 112 for the low channel. High end runs through
    their 2x10.

The 112 is NOT cutting it for the low channel. Even at rehearsal.
    I'm thinking of getting 2 of the 115's to replace that 112.

I'm missing my old (way too heavy) 2x15 badly.

Thanks for clearing up the LF/LFA confusion.

I kinda wish they would have chosen the delta pro 15A
    instead. Nice high sensitivity. It's still over 95db at 80Hz.

The delta 12lf I have is below 90db at that point. I have lost so much volume.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

This is news to me but if that's what it is, it's a super step in the right direction. Any 15 + mid, even if the crossover is poorly done, (not saying that it is) will still sound better than any woofer + tweet, except possibly small woofers and big horns but I doubt that'll be happening in the bass world anytime soon.

I don't see anything about a 115 on their site.

7. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Talked to Avatar today;
    Eric said that a picture will be going up on the site today or tomorrow.

Mike

8. I saw these posts a while ago and was wondering if Avatar was still going to be selling some of these single 15" cabs. I would email dave myself, but im sure he is a busy guy and i would probably get a quick responce form here anyway.

9. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Much as I believe in the woofer+mid approach I'd have to strongly disagree with that statement. Two reasons why - firstly for certain purposes a woofer+tweeter still works better than a woofer+mid but secondly and more importantly a poorly done crossover on a woofer+midrange cab can be absolutely disastrous. I'd even suggest that with those who've used a woofer+midrange cab and not liked it the reason they didn't like it may have been entirely due to the crossover!

10. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    With the 3015LF, almost any mid driver with even a stock eminence crossover, is probably an improvement. But it won't necessarily beat a single 15 or 12 with a more full range driver and tweeter.

I want to say Avatar is using the Alphalite (or alpha) CBMR6 and 3015LF now in his planned 3-way cab. Not sure if he's intending to use the stock crossover or not.

11. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

I love generalizations.

You don't know the gigs I play. A single 12 works fine for me most of the time.

And I have other cabs if I need them.

12. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Well, Avatar is selling Delta 15 L 4 ohm in the Scratch/Dent section of the web site. I wonder if this means they went with an 8 ohm design or changed over to the LF.

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    "Poorly done" was likely a bad choice of words there, let's call it "less than optimal". My beef with woof+tweets isn't so much the fact that it has a tweeter but that they're usually passed either too low or not steep enough or both resulting in the harsh sound that makes folks say they hate tweeters. The little tweeters that come in most bass cabs need to either be passed higher or mounted on a bigger horn. Then it would look like a PA cab and some folks may not even give it a listen.

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    That was posted kinda late, may have been a little bit "opinionated". I do some gigs where a 112 will cut it too but there have been countless stories on here about people blasting away with their 112's and blowing them. Usually from expecting it to do more than it possibly can.

15. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=650701&highlight=avatar&page=5

Look at the "daveAvatar" posts on page 5 and page 8 for the most significant info.........

16. rockambo

rockambo

Apr 12, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Ha! I just bought this and it arrived today.