Speaker Supplier

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blown240, Feb 27, 2006.

1. blown240

Dec 10, 2004
    Where is a good place to get speakers for a bass cab that I am building? I will need to get four 10s an 18 and a couple peizo horns. Also, whats a good speaker to use? I am just starting to gather info for this.

2. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI

And download WinISD. You should pick out the speaker(s) first and design your cab(s) around the T/S parameters of the speakers. WinISD will help you design it.
  3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Contact Dave at Avatar. They carry Celestion, Eminence and other brands.

I have bought an Eminence 15 and two Eminence 12s from them at great prices and they delivered quite quickly!

They are great to deal with and their prices are quite nice.
  4. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Since you're building the cabinets yourself, might as well tune them for Neo's. Cutting the weight will have more long term usability from the cabinets.

Carvin has some:
    Call or write to them for the TS specs.

Or wait for the new DeltaLite II's to be generally available.

Or, if you're not stuck on "traditional" designs you might want to check out the http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/ plans. You'll get much more out of the drivers in these high efficiency designs than traditional cabinets.
  5. I like Celestion and Eminence drive units... I've used them in both PA and bass guit applications... I would suggest eminence represent better value for money... Ive have experience in the use of eminence designer which helps (as sundogue suggests) fit a box around the speaker or vice-versa... Eminence designer is a little basic but I've no experience in using anything else... As for peizo-electric HF components, they're cheap. I proper bullet tweeter with a proper 2 way x-over would help fidelity but even a hi-pass filter would be better than a peizo... Eminence, Celestion and Fane do suitable drive units whereas only eminence (to my knowledge) do suitable x-overs at 1.6khz and 3.5khz, the latter probably better for a bass guitar cab... I think they're rated for 250w although some are 400w... I don't know enough about them, check their site...
  6. blown240

Dec 10, 2004
    I am not really worried about a x-over because the tweaters are going to be on a seperate imput jack, and run off of a seperate power amp, thru a seperate EQ in a rack.

Does anyone know who Carvin gets their speakers from?
  7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You shouldn't do that with piezos.
  8. blown240

Dec 10, 2004
  9. JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Try partsexpress.com, they also offer a lot of related items.
  10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Bill Fitzmaurice helped me design a cab rebuild
    last year.

The link is in my sig, and it deals with a lot of the same issues
    you will have to deal with.

Unfortunately, I hosted the pics in the TB Gallery, which
    disappeared in the recent software upgrade. I will get them
    rehosted when I can.

But read through it and you should get some decent info.
    I got my speakers through Low Down Sound in Detroit,
    they were shipped by Martin Sound in Cleveland.