Speaker Surround Edge Repair how long do they last.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wildman2, Dec 31, 2017.

1. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    Last week or so I've noticed a weird buzzing sound from the 15in speaker in my tnt tour combo.So I decided to see what was causing it, took grill off played E ( dn tuned to D)open same thing weird buzz. Tightened speaker down it was loose and it went away sort of..Still a weird buzz but not as bad.
    But I just happened to notice what looks like a repair on the speaker surround some kind of rubbery black goo real hard to notice about 2-2.5 in long. Grrrr got a flash light and looked at the cones excursion/movement around the edges.The area that's been fixed doesn't move near as much as the rest of the surround when played.How much will this affect the sound and longevity of the speaker.It sounded a little off when I got it but I chalked it up to my horrible playing . .:(
    Ive changed my settings lately on the bass to use the bridge pickup more with a bit more mid and treble.So it's way more noticeable now.Both of my basses do the same thing sound wise.One bass only has one pickup (sub 4)Better to replace the speaker or not?
    I know it's a bit long winded.Sorry.Hope you guys have enough info.

2. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    A proper repair with good parts should last as long as the original.

65 P and Brad Johnson like this.
  3. The world famous Chöad Hammer in the Janky rigs of doom thread had a full cone ''recondition'' a few years ago and may still be running.

4. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    It looked like a really good professional repair I just happened to notice it.Really hard to see it had to rub fingernail across it gently to feel the difference silicone like. Good to know that it's OK like that.Off to play some more.
    Much THX for the quik replies.

BadExample likes this.
  5. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Me...I would buy a new replacement driver from Peavey

But Peavey amps always sound kind of rough to me anyway......kind of rough but get the job done...in a non smooth way

bobyoung53 likes this.
  6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Generally such repairs don't hold up well, you also don't know what else might have been done to the speaker...

murphy and bobyoung53 like this.
  7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I recall that the Peavey TNT Tour uses a 1502-4 Black Widow speaker. This has a pleated cloth surround with dope around the edge.

There are speaker repair cements but you can’t blob it on. Sometimes it helps to apply a reinforcement patch, such as nylon, and add a small amount of the cement on top. This has to be done right though and it depends on the extent of the damage. Ideally, you don’t want to impede movement or add too much mass. So avoid using too much goop. Sounds like what was done to your speaker.

If your speaker is the type in the video below, on the plus side it can be reconed.

1502-8 BW™ : Peavey.com

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    bobyoung53 likes this.
  8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

patches can be hit or miss, but a new surround, properly done, can be as good or better than the original!

good luck! :thumbsup:

Brad Johnson and bobyoung53 like this.
  9. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I have seen toilet paper and clear fingernail polish repairs work and hold up, but only for a guitar amp that wasn't pushed hard.

10. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    I haven't removed the speaker completely yet from the cab..Still buzzes a little but better after tightening it down better but it's bugging me in the back of my head.Looked at the picture in the link doesn't quite look the same as the 1502-8's surround.
    So I'm yanking it out so I can see exactly what speaker it is and look at the repair from behind.

11. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    And I've actually done that toilet paper repair on a home stereo type speaker lol

12. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    Speaker is out and is definitely not a black widow.NON basket replaceable that i can see nothing to unscrew.Plus nothing that says peavey on it at all. In fact there are no names whatsoever on it just two series of numbers grrrr.At least it tests out at 6.8 OHMS Used my Micronta multi-meter. Dust caps 3.5 in.Highly doubt this thing has a 4in voice coil.

13. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Absolutely not. Many times, it will appear to look good but if you were to disassemble the speaker (as in a recone), you will often (or even usually) find damage done to the VC wire insulation because of the misalignment when the surround fails (that's the most common location for the buzz to come from). This damage can cause shorted turns in the VC over time and damage the amp.

Most PRO reconers who value their reputation will not replace a surround (unless they know for certain that there is no hidden damage) because nobody in the real pro world likes to be associated with a poor repair, as well as the cost associated with eating such a repair.

Also, to do the job properly involves removing the dustcap, shimming the bobbin, and installing a new dust cap. Depending on how the dust cap was originally installed (cut edge, flanged lip, cupped over the top of the bobbin), it may not be possible to install a new factory dust cap. I'm thinking of some specific JBL examples but there are plenty of others. By the time all this hassle is done, it's almost as cheap to recone and that way there is no questions.

Lvjoebass and Wasnex like this.
  14. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Post an image of the speaker if you can. It may be that the speaker is not the original and was replaced.

15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

can't disagree with you more. replacing a surround on a speaker which only needs that specific 'intervention' does not require dustcap removal, bobbin shimming, etc. if the OP were to take said speaker to some (many? most?) repair shops, he might very well get the feedback/diagnosis you imply...which leads to a different set of decisions than whether to just replace the surround.

having said that: any speaker repair is most often not for the 'faint-of-heart', IMO/IME, and i was not suggesting that the OP do it himself. however, i have put many speakers back into standard duty when only the surround needed to be replaced: so my mileage apparently differs from yours!

"many times" and "most reconers" is not the same as "absolutely not" per your post. just sayin'. ;)

16. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    No real names s/n or identifying company name other than 489209 silk screened on magnet and 9h15y (I think)should of wrote that one down and didn't'.The 9h15y due to the 15 may be a model number did a search couldn't find anything on it.Certainly seems like it was replaced with a generic non peavey brand :mad:.Weighed it and it is 10.5 pounds.Way less than a BW.I put it back together already so I can at least play at lower volume with out much buzz.Soon as I had seen it wasn't a BW put it back together.

17. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    My experience as a factory authorized reconer leads me to an entirely different conclusion.

Also, the VC MUST be shimmed or there is no way to guarantee axial collinearity. This is essential in any higher performance speaker using a tight gap. Doesn't take much to cause a rub.

I'm looking at it from the perspective of delivering a quality product that will perform to manufacturers specifications, that has a reasonable expectation of working that way without a warranty claim. If you are willing to accept a lower quality product, that's a different subject.

18. Raf Seibert

Raf Seibert

Dec 16, 2013
    Texas
    JRA, did you happen to notice Aged Horse’s credentials? In addition to being product development engineer for Mesa and product support engineer for Genz, Andy has many years of experience in sound reinforcement. He knows his beans.

Ordinarily, I wouldn’t speak for someone else, but he doesn’t usually put himself forward.

65 P, Lvjoebass and BassmusM6674 like this.
  19. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    If it's an off-shore speaker, or the cabinet suffered a fall or other mechanical injury, it's possible that the basket is slightly deformed (you wouldn't be able to see it).

Unless you can positively identify a driver like this as a premium driver, and the basket is not bent, re-coning (and other repairs) is rarely economical.

bpmben likes this.
  20. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Which is why he had to become s Grumpy Old Fart! Too many beans! :D

65 P, Roxbororob and J-Bassomatic like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022