1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speaker surround repair? Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MishkaShubaly, Oct 12, 2017.

1. MishkaShubaly

MishkaShubaly

Feb 21, 2014
    I picked up two 1x15 ported furniture-style cabs from JBL plans w/ vintage JBL E-145s in them for a song ($200 for the pair). The thing is, one of the surrounds is failing. Is there a cheap, easy fix for this? Do I need a recone kit? Do I need to bring this to a pro? I appreciate any help you can provide.

Speakers sound fantastic... but they are heavy as hell. I suspect I'll end up swapping them out for something lighter before I get another hernia. IMG-1874.JPG

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Looks like it had a re-cone in the past, but the glue wasn't well applied
    Recone kits are a fair price no too much money. if you get a pro to fix it you'll probably get some kind of warranty, but it depend on how bad the last recone was done.

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    This is not a glue failure, this is a classic mechanical failure at one of the highest stress parts of the surround. The only practical solution is a recone since we don't know (but can reasonably assume) what other damage might exist in the rest of the soft parts.

Also, that sure doesn't look like a 145 cone/kit in the slightest.

Passinwind likes this.
  4. MishkaShubaly

MishkaShubaly

Feb 21, 2014
    Thanks for weighing in, guys. The shell of the speaker is def an old JBL E145 but I have no idea if they are the original cones or not. Up on ebay it goes...

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The metalwork oft he different drivers are in many cases identical, the soft parts are not. It's definitely not a 145 cone, therefore it can be assumed that other parts are not correct as well. Good basket for a recone.