Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

speaker surroundings turning orange!!??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tolas, Jul 19, 2005.

1. tolas

tolas

Mar 16, 2005
    I'm playing my Ampeg V-4B through a friends Ampeg SVT410HEN cab and dialed in this insanely overdriven glass shattering distortion. I was looking at the speakers while playing, and the speaker surroundings were turning orange with heat when I would really let loose. I assume this is the voice coils heating up, but should the speaker surroundings be turning orange?

At first I though I was imagining things, but i've repeated the experiment, and the speaker surroundings are truely turning orange.

Is this damaging the cab? Should I stop playing with these settings?

2. Does this cabinet have a tweeter with a crossover?

If so, you were seeing the tweeter protection--which is a light bulb in the crossover circuit. The light bulb started glowing, which was visible through the speaker surrounds.

I seriously doubt your speakers were so hot they were glowing orange.

P.S. It's not a good idea to drive the speakers so hard the tweeter protection circuit kicks in constantly.

3. tolas

tolas

Mar 16, 2005
    ahhh this is definitely it. haha.

i didn't think the speaker surrounds could get hot like that. I guess they would just melt before that type of material turned orange anyway. I just didn't know what was going on.

It does have a tweeter adjustment. I guess i just need to turn this down. Thanks for the help.

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Don't turn the tweeter down that'll make the problem worse or blow the attenuator. Turn down your highs on the amp.

Alex

5. tolas

tolas

Mar 16, 2005
    it's a tube amp and I need the settings up to get my sound. The cab should be able to take it.

The tweeter was set at like -5DB. I put it down to -infinity. Sounded like heaven.

6. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    It doesn't matter that it's a tube amp, and the protection circuitry lighting up is indicative that it in fact cannot take what you're dishing out. Turning down the L-pad is not the answer, cutting the highs that you're actually sending to the tweeter (via amp settings) is.

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Or just take the tweeter out, or the protection circuit.

8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    And you expect this friend to remain so?

Buy your own cab and disconnect the tweeter if you want to do this without permanent damange.

Alex