1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

speaker swap

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by harpspitfire, Dec 23, 2018.

1. harpspitfire

harpspitfire

Sep 30, 2013
    is there a way to tell which is a better speaker? stupid question i guess, but my hearing isnt normal and hard to tell a difference in these - the one on the left is from a crate bx50, IMG_3668.JPG IMG_3668.JPG the cone is smooth and the black icky stuff around seems newer - the one on right is from my peavey tko80, the cone is somewhat corrugated for lack of works. im sure is an older speaker, the crate seems slightly heavier, and the peavey seems to have more cone movement, tia, john

IMG_3667.JPG

Attached Files:

2. you're basically going to have to hear them to figure out which is better, all speakers are different, all speakers respond differently to the same box. Everything else is more or less superficial and kinda hard to ascribe much just by looking at them.

AlexanderB likes this.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Quality wise, the Peavey is better because it’s made in the USA by Eminence. The other looks to be a generic Chinese speaker.

Sound wise, it’s a crap shoot either way. Depends on which one works better for the intended application.

4. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    If you have T/S specs for them yes, if you don't no, other than by loading them both into cabs and trying them side by side.
    Understanding Loudspeaker Data | Eminence Speaker