1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speaker + temps question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by georgestrings, Mar 23, 2006.

1. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Our rehearsal space is in a basement that's mostly unheated - I put a thermometer down there, and have made sure I got it up to around 50F before playing through any speakers... Is that being overly cautious, or not enough so??? At what temperatures can speakers be damaged??? I'm thinking that playing through them at 40F probably still wouldn't hurt them, but just wanted to ask...

- georgestrings

2. The temperature does not matter as long as it does not freeze, and even freezing would not matter if humidity is not too high. humidity does matter.

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Thanks, Link - after reading my post, I should've clarified that we heat it for rehearsals - I just get the temp up to around 50F minimum before cranking any speakers - and was wondering if that practice is really necessary...

I hear what you're saying about humidity - during winter months, it isn't a problem - but during "damp" times, we run a de-humidifier down there... Thanks for the advice...

Anyone else???

- georgestrings

4. No, heating it up is not neccesary. 90% of the power of your amp is converted to heat in the voice coils; the other 10% actually drives the cones. So you can imagine the coils heating themselves up very quickly.