1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speaker Transport Orientation?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vinny, Nov 30, 2006.

1. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    The speaker break-in thread got me thinking of something I heard many years ago regarding hauling your gear. The premise of this is as follows: while hauling your speakers only set the cabs with the speaker oriented in its vertical position. Not with the cone facing up (on its back) or down (on its face). The cab could be on its side so long as the cone was in a vertical orientation. The theory was that the speaker wouldn't over-travel its range while driving down the road.

Anyone else ever heard this? Do you only stow your cabs in a specific orientation when hauling them?

2. Slink

Slink

Dec 27, 2005
    I read that its best to have the cab verticle and facing either front or back of the vehicle so that the speaker would travel,due to stop and go traffic, in the direction that it is designed to go.

3. high mileage

high mileage

Apr 17, 2006
    Rockford IL
    I'd be surprised if the cones would move as much while being transported as they do when they're powered up - especially for bass cabinets and subs vs. full range PA and guitar cabs. I move my Super Redhead facing up (only way it fits in the trunk) and have never had a problem. Lots of miles, too...

I suppose in theory this makes sense, but in practical application has anybody seen a difference?

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Someone here pointed out that shippers (UPS, FedEx, etc) never orient speaker cabs during shipping. And let's face it, speakers are going to be jostled more roughly when shipped than they will when being transported in your car. So, I really don't think alignment makes a significant difference.

5. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Yeah it was one of those things that when I heard it I went "hmmm" but I've moved my 2X15 on its back for years & haven't had any problems. I just wondered if anyone else had ever heard the same thing.

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Once upon a time it was considered wise to remove woofers and rotate them a half-turn every year or so to prevent cone and suspension sag. I don't. My speakers end up being oriented whichever way they best fit into my car.

7. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    hahaha! me to!

8. Orientation is really only critical for components with very high cone mass. This is typically the high end passive radiators that use MDF cones.

These must be kept vertical, or the heavy mass distorts the spider and surround. I'd probably rotate these like Bill mentioned above, simply due to their very heavy weight.

An aside on these... they usually have to run in pairs. A single PR of this much mass will cause a cab to walk about. These PRs are installed in pairs on opposite walls of the cab, so they counteract the tendency to dance about.

9. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    My Acoutic Image combo has a down firing speaker. It's not a large speaker, but I would imagine that AI would have researched this (at least I hope so) and determined it to be safe. I always transport my other cabs face down in the car. They seem to be more stable, and don't topple over since the surface is larger. Another reason I go face down is so that nothing (bass drum spikes, mic stands,etc.) can come in contact with the speakers.

10. Hi Folks,

I was always told to lay the cab face down to keep condensation from pooling in the speaker cone + the magnet has less of a chance to break off the basket. Haven't always had the room to do this though.

11. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    Man! Just a little obsessive-compulsive?

I did have a magnet fall off of a driver once... after the cabinet had been dropped.

12. Not really, back in the days we were using old school buses for transport, loading the gear in the back of the bus, they really bounce around on some of the beautiful Canadian roads.