1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speaker upgrade for Rumble 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rich48, May 16, 2018.

1. Rich48

Rich48 Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Portland Oregon
    I picked up a Rumble15 because I wanted a really small and cheap practice amp that I could travel with. It’s not bad as is, but I started thinking about making it better. I may at some point remove the amp and just use it as a small cab to be used with something like the Ampeg PF 20 tube amp. For now I just want to upgrade the speaker. I came up with 3 that I’m interested in. Please see the links below. Based on the specks, I like the Dayton. It has less power capability and sensitivity, but it has a lower frequency response, can be used in a smaller box, and has a higher Xmax. I was wondering if folks with speaker cab builds and upgrades would be kind enough to lend their expertise and let me know what you think. I,m looking for a clean and low bass sound.

Thanks

Fender Rumble 15 1x8" 15-Watt Bass Combo

"Dayton Audio DS215-8 8" Designer Series Woofer Speaker" from www.parts-express.com!

"Eminence Alpha-8A 8" PA Driver" from www.parts-express.com!

"FaitalPRO 8FE200 8" Professional Midbass 8 Ohm" from www.parts-express.com!

2. Rich48

Rich48 Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Portland Oregon
    Not seeing much interest in this tread. I was hoping for some advise as to whether this is worth doing, and which speaker to use. It would be great if agedhorse or some other knowledgeable person would be willing to give some advise.

Thanks

3. Anhg77

Anhg77

Apr 10, 2018
    Chile
    IMHO its no worthy to upgrade the speaker. Much better to buy a propperly designed cabinet once you get the PF20T. Also keep in mind that changing the speaker might give bad results, because cabinets are designed considering the characteristics of the speaker used.

Munjibunga likes this.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't think you're going to like where this will go. There are countless other threads that detail why it's typically a bad idea to put a speaker into a cabinet that wasn't designed for it.

Anhg77 likes this.
  5. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Upgrade a 15 Rumble? I would say yes on a 30 Rumble, a efficient speaker up grade for the 15 watt might cost way more than the amp is worth, a Eminence 820H run about 60 bucks, hell of a good speaker Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker, might be better to look on GC used amps and grab a 30 I found a 75 Rumble for 100 bucks shipped.

6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I been replace the Marshall MB15 stock driver to Eminence 8 in driver, I forgot either Beta or Alpha series.
    Yes, result are better than stock, no distort or fart even full volume.
    But the problem is still lacking low end, she just improve the Mid and High frequency become tight and puchy tone.
    The result are far different than the Fender Rumble V2 75 combo I did before with Eminence driver.
    My advice is sell the Rumble 15 and get the Rumble 40 combo . But modified thing are really enjoy and fun.

7. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    What set up did you do for the 75, I am also doing the same. I am going to use a Baselite 12" due to its lower wattage needed and WAY Lighter. (plus I got a great deal on it .

8. My solution to the Rumble combo speaker upgrade conundrum was to add more combos!.... (Rumble 25s shown)...
    Lately I find myself just running just three, stacked vertically, with the top one tilted back via a wood block under the front edge. 75 watts, 3 x 8".

20180105_150330-1.

DAB and Yahboy like this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    They are all right abiut the physics. There is software that figure out cab dimensions and speaker parameters. I don't behin to understand it all.

But I'm not discouraging you from upgrading.

However, what you should do is call the fine folks at US Speaker. Before you do, pop the existing driver out and measure the INTERIOR dimensions of the cab. Also, if there is a port, measure all dimensions of that.

Give those figures to the really nice guy who answer the phone. (Seriously, he has been a true gentleman every time I have worked with him.)

He will then offer you several suggestions of speakers that are designed to work with those dimension.

I think you can upgrade. But I also think meither if us is qualified to figure put whoch driver. And you should NOT just buy what you think is a "better" speaker and slap it in there. Thay could end badly.

Short version: Go for it. But do it wisely.

10. To get anywhere near 'low' in that small cab you're going to need to use a smaller driver. I suggest the Faital 6FE100. Tuned to 60 Hz you will get an F3 of about 53 hz with mild peaking centered on 90 Hz, all with a sensitivity of 90-91 db/w/m. It will have rich but articulate bass, with smooth mids and highs. Not suggesting that it will sound like a good 112 with similar specs. It just can't presurize a room like that, but it will give you usable volume and quite good tone in a home practice setting.

Edit: Before doing any of this you might consider adding some acoustic damping material - just line about half the interior walls with dacron quilt stuffing. Audition long enough to appreciate the change, then try sealing the cab. If there are two ports try blocking one (just stuff a wash cloth in it). If these easy changes don't get you there, then try the above.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    b-b-b-bass likes this.
  11. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Just a driver swap (eminence beta 12A2)and add polyfill. The tone become clearer and bottom is solid.
    After 2 years later I sell it and bought the Rumble v3 200/150.
    Reason is simple, v2 75 combo crazy heavy.
    Love The V3 bake in voice, light weight and sexy retro look.

b-b-b-bass likes this.
  12. Rich48

Rich48 Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Portland Oregon
    Thank you to everyone for your replies and a renewed interest in this thread. I just want to clarify what it is I am trying to accomplish. I would not be using the Rumble 15 for anything other then solo practice. I have a Rumble 100 that I use when i want a larger sounding amp and when I play in a praise band at my church. I chose the 15 not just based on its price but on its size. It’s small enough to travel with and I sometimes bring it with me on RV trips with our travel trailer. The problem with the 15 is that it does not have much bass. I want to replace the cheap driver Fender uses with something that will give me more bass in the fifteens small enclosure. I was hoping someone with speaker building experience would look at the specs of the drivers I mentioned in my op to see if they would give better performance in the fifteens small enclosure. I’m also open to other driver suggestions and i’m willing to spend up to around $80 bucks which was what I spent to by the original amp. I want the small footprint but I don’t want to spend several hundred on something like a Phil Jones.

13. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i had a rumble 15. i got rid of it - it sounded more like a guitar amp to me than a mass amp, and i couldn't get the bass sound i wanted out of it. the rumble 25 has a lot more bass and isn't much different in size or price.

14. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  15. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    This will give you an idea of what each Rumble speaker sounds like the difference from a 15 watt to 25 watt is night and day !

AstroSonic and Yahboy like this.
  16. Rich48

Rich48 Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Portland Oregon
    The Rumble 15 is only 8” deep where the 25 is 11”. For traveling that 3” makes a difference.
    Think of this as trying to make a poor man’s Phil Jones briefcase. What i’m Looking for is some one with speaker building experience and software to tell me if the specs on the drivers I mentioned will lower the frequency response of the Rumble 15 cab.

17. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
  18. Rich48

Rich48 Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Portland Oregon
  19. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    I would not waste any money on the 15 Rumble upgrade, I would look at a used 25 Rumble for about 70 bucks or LESS, this is a cheap portable amp upgrade and the 25 has a few bells and whistles over the 15 Rumble like the following (overdrive and contour controls and is ported), and if you can get one cheap enough, then up grade it down the road.

Jim Carr likes this.
  20. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Oh I like this, love to hear how this would sound LOL!, Be a great You Tube video here is one 25 Rumble, the two, then 3, hang on all 4 , be a great video to hear and watch!