Speaker Upgrade on BXR 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gojirin, Oct 17, 2004.

1. gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    I have a Fender BXR 15 and am thinking of replacing the Fender Speaker with a 15" Emminence. I use a an RBI which does help the tone, but am wondering if a speaker change would improve it further or is it money better spent on a better amp alltogether.
    Any one with any experience with this out there?
    Thanks, Jon.
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The size of your enclosure was designed to fit your particular speaker's T/S parameters. Its unlikely there is another speaker "better" suited for your cab. Just because another speaker has higher power handling specs, etc. doesn't mean it won't sound like crap in an enclosure for which it wasn't designed.

My view: if you don't like the sound of your combo, sell it and get a different amp.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  4. If luck is on your side, it is possible to find a better replacement speaker. If you get lucky, and your internal cabinet volume happens to match the T/S requirement for a better driver.

You have to calculate the internal volume of the cabinet, then subtract the volume occupied by the driver itself, any subcabinets, ports, etc. This final volume is what you use to choose a replacement driver.

I know where you can find a spread sheet that will help you find a driver...

After said driver is located, is found to be superior to your current driver, and the cabinet tuning is adjusted... you may have a better rig.

It is easier to replace the combo with something more to your liking. There is a lot to be said for instant gratification. Why waste all that time on cabinet hacking when you could be making music?
  5. gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    Thanks for the advice one and all. The Fender cab is not really built to mod, so replacing it with something different does make the most sense.
    THanks esp. for the attachement - a couple interesting things to take a look at!
  6. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I own a Fender BXR15 and if we're referring to the same amp [i'm not entirely sure] it's a little combo w/an 8inch speaker and a whole 15 watts. If so-a 15inch speaker would not fit in the enclosure let alone have any chance to be tuned remotely correctly. If you're talking about a different Fender BXR15, please ignore my post. :)
  7. gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    No, this is a 15" speaker with a "100" watt amp. Interesting that the name is similar.
  8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Well I have a Fender BXR 115 in storage. It's a humungus cab (aprox 200 Litres) with no amp, a 15" speaker by Eminence which is only 150w and has a dust cap hanging off it. As a result, it has it's own built-in distortion.

It was my first speaker cab. I'll hot-rod it one day ;)