1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speaker upgrade

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jaybyname, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Hi all, I'm wanting to replace the speakers in my old Harley Benton bass cabs. Used these for home use but wanting to improve them and take them to gigs. I have a 2x10 and 1x15 cab. Looking to replace them with Eminence speakers but there's that many on the market,I'm unsure which ones. Any recommendations and do i need to replace the tweeters too or will they be ok. Need to be 8ohms each and in using a Line6 HD750 amp.

Can anyone help?

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    What's wrong with the current ones?

Good 4 or 16ohm 10's aren't all that plentiful.

Legend CB158 for the 15 assuming the boxes are somewhat typical size and porting (3-4 cu.ft. and 40-50hz.)

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Matter of fact, just sell off the 10's and get a pair of those 15's.

4. I get the idea that these cabs may not handle well at a decent volume. They just look and sound a bit week. The cab structure is great, just thought i could do better with better drivers in it

5. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Mixing 10s and 15s is bad start. Safer getting rid and replacing with more suitable. Lots of maths and a bit of risk otherwise.

6. How? Tens for mids, 15 for lows

7. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Would work like that if they weren't both cabs designed to be full range, and you wre using a crossover. you need about a 6" driver for mids to go with a 15 that's designed for sub. The boxes you have are not like that at all. There tons of threads on why the assumption you made is bad. What you achieve with mixing two different drivers tends to be a whole bunch of holes and peaks in the mids where they are out of phase with each other.

8. Hang on, hang on! I have 2 cabs. 1 is a 2x10 with tweeter and 1 is a 15 with tweeter. The tens sit on top of the fifteen, like any other cab stack.
    All i want is to replace the 3 speakers with better ones. That's it, no maths, no brain teasers. Just higher power speakers so that they don't distort at 1/4 volume. I just wanted to know what speakers are good as a replacement. Then i can turn the volume up more and not compete with the guitarist.

thanks

9. It does not work like that - there IS science and math used to design the cabs AROUND the speakers being used.

Just throwing some speakers in there that are the right size but higher wattage rating is a CRAPSHOOT.

May sound OK, may sound like crap, may even damage the speakers.

10. Don't work like that.

There are 10's that go lower then 15's. and there are 15's that are used in PA and guitar rigs.

Size of the speaker tells you nothing other then what size it is.

It is not like any other cab stack. You are using mixed driver sizes in the false belief that 10's bring the punch and the 15 brings the boom.

Those speakers operate full range, and the different properties of the speakers can cause problems with consistent sound out in the room (areas of NO bass, and other areas where it is all boom).

Running bi-amped with a crossover fixes the problem, but it requires speakers that work in their own specific frequency ranges (15" sub + 6" mid driver).

11. Ok, think i get it. So what do i need to consider when speaker shopping. Looking for at least double the wattage of the original 250w peak speakers

12. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Wattage is meaningless, so ignore it. The limit on the speakers isn't watts, its excursion, and excursion limited power handling varies with the way the speaker interacts with the box, and that is where the maths is.