1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speaker wattage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BeardedGnome, Apr 14, 2010.

1. How can I find out the wattage of a 15" speaker that has no writing on it?

2. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    There is nothing at all on the magnet or the frame?

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Connect it to a high-wattage power amp, and then crank the input signal until the speaker burns out. That's the wattage it could handle.

;)

Or post a photo of it here, especially the back view, and see if anyone here recognizes the make or model.

4. Hi.

Yeah, pics will help.

Even if anyone doesn't recognise the exact model, the vintage and the aprroximate quality is easily determined.

Do You have an enclosure for it?

If You do, You can use your amp to detemine the useful power handling. You'll need a PC based signal generator and a multimeter, and a bit knowledge how to use 'em.

While the measurements are relatively easy, they're a bit time-consuming and without a dummy load the load resistance of the speaker is a guess, not an actual value.

IME/IMHO it's usually not worth it to measure an unknown speaker unless You have a pallet-full of them.

Regards
    Sam

5. Keep turning up until it distorts or the coil starts to stink. Then back off a little. :D

Is there no writing on the cab or no writing on the actual speaker magnet?

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    More pertinent is finding out whether it's even a bass driver.

7. I opened up both cabs and the speakers actually have some printing on them.
    I was told they had nothing, but I was misinformed... Oops...
    Any way, they are 15"speakers, small magnets, and have 15DABA8B 67 7436 printed on the magnet.

I assume they are 8ohms, but how do I find out the wattage?
    I've done a ton of searching and can't find anything on those numbers.
    Any suggestions?

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    67 should be an eminence code. Try emailing them with the rest of the numbers and see if they have any info on them.

9. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    There are over a dozen driver specs that determine how it works, and of those the power rating is one of the least significant.
    http://www.eminence.com/resources/data.asp

IMO if the cab works it works, and if it doesn't it doesn't, what the power rating is won't change that, so don't worry about it.

10. That is true but i don't want to destroy the speakers or possibly my 300 watt vintage svt.
    Re-tubing that beast is expensive...

11. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Maybe the best thing is to sell it and then it isn't your problem. Buy a cab you can depend on and call it a day.

12. That is also true and a possibility.
    But.
    I would still like to find out if I have The Holy Grail in my possession before i trade it for magic beans.

13. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Odds are you don't. If you don't even recognize the cabinet from its outward appearance, it's probably just one of thousands of no-name cabs.

Maybe it would be great in the studio for some things, but not all. And no good live. Let a studio collect all that stuff.

14. That is also true. The cab itself is not the issue though, it is the speakers.
    The cab is very generic, but the if I can find out what the speakers are, I can
    easily build a better enclosure for them. One that is properly tuned and ported
    for them.

I already have other working factory made cabs, so these ones are not a big issue.
    I just would like to know what speakers I got.

15. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Again, the wattage is the least of your concerns there. All those other specs are what you need to know how to design a cab for them, or for that matter whether they're worth the bother.

16. Hi.

What Bill said.

Unless Eminence supplies You with the T/S specs (which they won't, if the speaker is an OEM, I should know since I've tried), there's about zero chance that you're able to make a better enclosure for them than the one there already is.

Regards
    Sam