1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

speaker wire question

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Mike Carr, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    I have a gig coming up in a club who's house amp is an SWR Workingman's 15. It's not a very good sounding amp for DB. Pre-amps help of course but still hard to get a sound I like on this particular amp. It's "Head" portion (combo-amp) is connected to the speaker via a 1/4 inch plug and cable that is hard wired to the speaker. It's a very short wire, not really long enough to reach much farther than to the speaker out-put jack on the SWR's "head". I'd like to run my Walter Woods head into this speaker but I'm afraid the little piece of speaker wire won't reach up long enough to plug into my WW's speaker out. Is it cool/safe to just use a connector with two 1/4 inch female jacks connected to some good speaker cord that I always use with my WW to get enough length to make this work. Do I run a risk of blowing up my WW with this? The gig is tomorrow night!

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Mike,
    As long as the speaker connecting cord coming from the SWR is in good condition, you should be fine. I used to do this with my SWR Baby Blue 2x8, but since there was a slot in the cabinet for the Baby Blue's head, I could just remove it, and swap it out with my Walter Woods MI-100-8. Provided the cabinet is rated at either 4 or 8 ohms, your good to go. One caution would be, to make certain that all the connectors between the head are solid and secure, and make sure that the Woods is well vented. I'd also reccommend testing the WM 15, with the amp at higher volume, so you can hear if anythings wonky with the 15 inside the cabinet. You want to make sure
    that the cable you use to extend the speaker wire is high quality and as short as possible. I have a Headway EDB-2 preamp, that I now use to bypass the front end on all of the backline rigs I'm confronted with, it's a perfect solution for this problem so you don' have to use the Woods. Having recently sent my Ultra to Walter for a
    repair, you want to be careful, because getting them fixed is an expensive proposition these days. I guess, if I were faced with the same situation you have, I'd try and use the SWR WM 15 as a standalone, to see if I could just live with it for one night.

Ric

3. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Thanks! I've used this amp before and simply don't like the way it sounds in this room. As good an excuse as any to bring my Woods!

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Mike,
    SWR's Aural Enhancer Circuit causes that problem, so I know exactly what you're talking about. The Bass Guitar guys on TB have a way to modify the amp internally with a bypass circuit, so that you can defeat the effect it has on midrange.

Ric