speaker wire

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman454, Aug 25, 2002.

1. i made a new speaker lead today i used high current heavy duty industrial stuff, i put the to wire's in the vice and then the other in a drill and just twisted it up, and then wrapped it in electrical tape (heatshrink would have been better but...
    i was told it may be too heavy and might not be efficiant for what i want...what are your thoughts?? i am not sure on what gage it is but it must be like 25> Amp.
  2. HannibalSpector

Mar 27, 2002
    I use ordinary 10amp powercord for my speakerleads . The connectors are the heavy duty switchcraft - cannon 3pin+ to 6mm.

3. I use the Pro Co Fat Max...
    ...the biggest there is.

8 gauge speaker wire.

The only place I've been able to find it is at:

Great Stuff & Very Highly Recommended!!!
  4. Hmmm..

8 gauge wire, combined with the miniscule surface contact area of a 1/4" plug... ?

I can see using banana plugs, but 1/4" plugs?
  5. I use bananas.

Speakon would rock too.

But, at least your not being held up because of wire gauge.
  6. Agreed. There is another thread going here on the same subject. A 50-foot run of 18 gauge lamp cord has less than half an ohm total resistance.

On the flip side, I bought some used 12/4 Speakon cables from an eBay seller today. I really don't need 12 gauge, especially for a 25 foot cable length, but I do need the 4-conductor wire. The price was right, so I'll take the fat wire anyway.