Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

speaker wire

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman454, Aug 25, 2002.

1. i made a new speaker lead today i used high current heavy duty industrial stuff, i put the to wire's in the vice and then the other in a drill and just twisted it up, and then wrapped it in electrical tape (heatshrink would have been better but...
    i was told it may be too heavy and might not be efficiant for what i want...what are your thoughts?? i am not sure on what gage it is but it must be like 25> Amp.
    thanks

2. HannibalSpector

HannibalSpector

Mar 27, 2002
    Australia
    Hi
    I use ordinary 10amp powercord for my speakerleads . The connectors are the heavy duty switchcraft - cannon 3pin+ to 6mm.

cheers

3. I use the Pro Co Fat Max...
    ...the biggest there is.

8 gauge speaker wire.

[​IMG]

The only place I've been able to find it is at:

www.sweetwater.com

Great Stuff & Very Highly Recommended!!!

4. Hmmm..

8 gauge wire, combined with the miniscule surface contact area of a 1/4" plug... ?

I can see using banana plugs, but 1/4" plugs?

5. I use bananas.

Speakon would rock too.

But, at least your not being held up because of wire gauge.

6. Agreed. There is another thread going here on the same subject. A 50-foot run of 18 gauge lamp cord has less than half an ohm total resistance.

On the flip side, I bought some used 12/4 Speakon cables from an eBay seller today. I really don't need 12 gauge, especially for a 25 foot cable length, but I do need the 4-conductor wire. The price was right, so I'll take the fat wire anyway.