Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

speaker wires: re-wiring a bass cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nickname, Jul 2, 2005.

1. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    I have a mesa boogie road ready. It contains 1x15", 1x12", and 2x8"

I've lost one of my wires while i was in the process of getting the speakers reconed. After i found the wire was missing, I used a thick gauged speaker wire that i had sitting around. Since i've hooked up my new reconned speakers, i get a lot of unusal sounds, like popping, and sounding like its too much power or something.

In the end, my question is, what speaker cables do i need, where can i get them, and where can i find a wiring scheme for the mesa boogie?

2. Make sure the connections are secure, soldered well or spade lugs tight.

Nothing wrong with the wire unless its broken internally.

Try isolating speakers, see if its only one of them. Either a loose connection, bad recone job.

Make sure amp is ok with another cab just in case too.

Randy

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Just one off topic question. Sure they're not a 15, 10 and two 6's? Like this.. [​IMG]

4. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    thats the one! it is a 10 and two 6's sorry

any help with the wiring schematics. is there certain speaker cable i should be buying?

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Any speaker cable sould do so long as it's not too thin. Sounds to me like your problem lies with something other than the speaker cable. Can you give us more infor on the unwanted sounds?

6. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    the unwanted sounds like the speakers are vibrating too much. its gets distorted.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I hate to say it but it sounds like you got yourself a shoddy recone job. Sounds to me like something is rubbing. If something's not glued down properly or it's not centered properly, this will be a problem even at low levels.

I'm assuming of course that everything else in the signal chan checks out. Battery's not flat, amp is working properly etc......