Speaker wiring/connecting to mak a stereocab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, May 6, 2002.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I want to make a stereocab out of my SWR Bigfoot 2x12" cab. The total load of the cab is 4ohms. Can I use each speaker with a different amp? How do I solder it and what parts do I need?
    How about the tweeter?
    Im no expert at this so please explain as I was 5 years old.
  2. If you want stereo sound, you probably should have two seperate speaker cabinets. Mulit-speaker cabinets are not designed to be split up like that.
  3. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Im not after the stereosound. I just want to be able to use an old stereo poweramp (all tube) that is unable to be used in bridged mode. I want to get as much power as possible out of the amp and thought that doing this solderingthing would make me happy.:D

Marshalls guitarcabs has a jackplate with a stereo/mono switch. Can such a plate be bought with everything on it so I only have to solder the speakerwires to it?
  4. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The jackplate has one tele in and one tele out. Can those be used as right speaker in and left speaker in somehow? Is it just to solder one speakers + and - to one jack and the other speakers to the other? Also how does taking the tweeter out of the signalchain affedt the impedance (dance?)?
  5. That should work. All you need to do is have each speaker wired independently to it's own jack.
  6. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    What Mudbass said.

As for the tweeter, I'm going to guess and say that there's no crossover on the 12s, only one on the tweeter. So currently, you'll have wires going from the jack to each speaker and also through some stuff to the tweeter, all three in parallel. Also the two jacks will be connected together with a short jumper.

To change it, remove the jumper, and take the wires from one of the 12s and connect it to the other jack. That will leave one channel with the tweeter and the other without. It won't affect the impedance enough to cause any volume issues. It will cut down on the total treble output a bit though. Not sure if there's anything you could do about that.

The end result will be that you get two 8-ohm inputs. Thing is, depending on the amp you're using, you might not get any more power using two channels into 8 ohms each than you would just using one channel (not bridged, just half the amp) into a 4-ohm load. You might want to find out the amp's ratings into 4 and 8-ohm loads before doing the surgery.