Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speakerhole.com 115 review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fathead, May 3, 2001.

1. A few folks here have posted inquiries about speakerhole.com, but nothing from anyone who bought their stuff. I needed a cheap amp for practice and any small gig I luck into, so I put together a rig using a speakerhole cab. Since that makes me a guinea pig, I'll share what I know about their stuff:

I had ordered a Peavey Mark IV head (used of course), which puts out about 110w@8ohms, 210@4, and 300@2. The speakerhole 1x15 has an 8ohm driver rated at 300wRMS. It cost $85, and I paid $115 w/shipping. Obviously, I'm not gonna see full potential from the head through this cab, but that's what upgrades are for :)

The cab arrived intact and well-packed, about 10 days after I ordered it. The enclosure is particle board (about 5/8"?), and has a volume of about 3 cu ft, plus 2 4"x5" round ports. Gray carpet covering. Rubber feet, metal corners, recessed handles, round grill. The driver has no name on it, but it has a pretty good sized magnet. Overall decent budget materials, decent assembly, and nice looking product (at about 45lbs).

Sound: I plugged it in and played. Sounded ok. Turned it up a little and pushed the driver on the E, then down on the B. Sounded fine. Turned the amp up to about 4 before my wife started making faces. Backed off and got good sounds all around. Later, home alone, cranked it up to 6 and rattled the whole house w/low notes for a few seconds before cutting back. Cab stayed clean w/even tone through most of playing range. Loses fullness, but still pumps good, below the D on my B string. I can live w/that.

I've now had the cab for about 3wks, and am happy with it. I'm not saying this is some outlandish bargain super-cab, just saying I got my $115 worth easily. Hope this helps anyone who is curious.

2. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    ive been looking at their 410. 225 final price doesnt seem bad at all for it! u think it would be a good investment?

3. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I've never played one, but the frequency response on the 10's seems pretty bad.

4. IWAB,

I justified the 115 because it was a small gamble and I really needed something to play through. As it turns out, I have a highly portable, decent sounding cab that can take plenty of power. Also, it didn't put me back much so I'll be able to buy a nicer cab when I need to.

If I was looking for a 410, I would sooner get a decent used cab in a more reputable make than the one we're talking about. I've seen a few going in the $200-400 range, in makes that are more tried&true.

BTW, I think the Speakerhole site mentioned a 210 coming out soon. That might be a cheaper way to test them out. . . and if you like it, you can just add another one later.

Hope you find what yer looking for.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Fathead -

How's the cab holding up? Do you still think it was a decent deal for the price?

I'm looking for a 1X15 in the $100 range, and can't find anything used locally.

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I should clarify why I want a really cheap cab before someone rips me a new a$$hole -

I'm looking for an exceedingly cheap cab to use with my G-K 400RB at home for practice. I have a borrowed 1X15 and a 2X10 that I plan to keep in my friend's basement for our weekly jams. I'd just rather use the G-K at home, too.

7. Yes, HD, it's holding up fine. Unfortunately, work and family have kept me from taking it anywhere to play, but it has handled home practice and the occasional (empty house) wall-shaking display of excess pretty well.

I don't know the specs on your 400RB, so I don't know how well it will match up. The 8ohm speakerhole cab can only pull about 120w out of my Peavey MkIV, which is really set up for lower impedance. But I still haven't been able to turn it up past 6 without worrying about the neighbors (and their house is about 40ft from my music room). One of these days I'll actually get enough time away from home to play in a larger space.

I feel the 115 will suit you fine for home practice. No guarantees, but I'm still happy w/mine.

Good luck!
    Fathead

8. It would be interesting to see the dimensions on both the cabinet itself (internal if possible) and both the exact diameter and length of the ports.

A 3 cubic foot box with two 4" diameter ports, each 5 inches long tunes to about 53 Hz. Far too high for a 5 string bass. If you plug one port with a rubber ball, etc, it will tune down to about 38 Hz which is much closer. It would be worth the exercise to see if this improves your low end response or not.

If the box is true particle board, and not MDF, be careful in damp environments. It would be worth your efforts to open the cab and seal it with Varathane, etc on the exposed particle board. MDF is easy to determine, as the quality is MUCH finer than particle board. MDF does not have water issues. I left a few pieces outside in the rain all winter as a test and it hardly swelled. Particle board turns into oatmeal.

If the cabinet is 5/8" keep an ear open for buzzing. You may have to glue in additional bracing. If the cabinet is not cleated at the joints, it may loosen up in time. This is life with cost-reduced workmanship, so move the cab carefully.

9. Bruce,

Thanks for the info. Far as I can tell, the box is actually particle board. Thanks also for the hint on sealing it. That's very good advice where I live.

I haven't measured from the inside, but I bet the true volume is prolly closer to 2.5 cu ft. I'll take a closer look when I get a chance. I'll try plugging a port nevertheless, as your are right on: it loses some boom just a few notes shy of the low B.

As far as rigidity goes, so far so good. I banged on all the panels and corners when I first unpacked it, and all sounded tight. I'll need to find a big empty room to really test it, but so far all the rattles and buzzes are from the walls and windows. When this box starts to fall apart, I'll just have to splurge for something sturdier.

Thanks again,
    Fathead

10. Huh? MDF is particle board. And it does have water issues. I sold kitchen cabinets for several years, most of which were MDF, and factory reps and technicians always said that if laminate peeled away from the MDF, it stood a significant chance of swelling, warping, or disintegrating if exposed to water.

11. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Thanks, guys.

As I said, I've had no luck in the used market. I've been looking for a cab for months, knowing I'd be picking up a used head. Everything I've seen has either been overbudget or rotted out.

I think this bottom will get put in place in the spare bedroom and will rarely move. My practice volume is moderate since I don't want to rattle the china, scare the greyhounds or piss off the spouse. I don't have a five, so the local kid's tennis balls are safe.

Fathead, my G-K head is similar - 200W into 4 ohms, and 125 into 8. I've found my little Peavey amp doesn't have the headroom I would like, so this way I can run the G-K at more moderate levels.

Thanks again!

12. Yes, they are both sawdust adhered together with glue. MDF is far more dense, much heavier (98 pounds per cubic foot) and far more resistant to water damage than Home Depot grade particle board.

Only high end kitchen cabinets are made from MDF. The rest are made from particle board. Compared side by side, they are immediately distinguishable visually and by touch. MDF is hard as hell on router bits and saw blades also. And worth it.

I left several MDF scaps out in the California rainy winter last year, and very little swelling. Almost nothing. Standard particle board would have turned into oatmeal mush.

13. kasuals

kasuals

Jul 20, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I'm probably going to pick up the 115 as well. I was looking at the 410 but I'm pretty leary, and 115 at about $125 w/shipping isn't all that bad. Only problem is, I need a cab for gigs as well as practice. Did it sound like the 115 was gig worthy? I don't want to sound like a$$ out on stage ;)

14. Very true. But it's all particle board. You're talking about MDF as opposed to LDF (low density fiberboard), but they are both particle board. I'm not trying to start a fight, I just don't want anyone else to think that particle board and LDF/MDF/HDF are different things.

15. kasuals: "gigworthy" is in the ear of the beholder. Since I haven't even had mine out of the house yet, I can't say how it will behave. It sounds great in the house though (even on the other side of the house).

I haven't had any time to play out since I bought the rig. Once I've had a chance to practice w/a group in a larger room, then I'll know if it'll stand up to a gig.

Good luck!
    Fathead