Speakerless cab--Is this a nutty idea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emor, Sep 1, 2004.

1. emor

May 16, 2004
    As some of you might know, my (obsessive :rolleyes: ) indecision regarding the purchase of a new amp found closure yesterday when I ordered the Mesa WalkAbout Scout 15" combo. :)

This amp has a 10" down-firing passive radiator installed in the bottom of the cab, and I got to thinking...(usually a dangerous activity for me)....
    This unit only stands about knee-high, and to have more convenient access to the controls (not to mention being able to hear it better), I would like to have it elevated somewhat (maybe twice its height). I know that some players use a road case or something similar to elevate their amp, but I was wondering if one could design and construct an "unloaded" enclosure of some kind with the same footprint as the amp that would not only elevate the unit, but also act as a resonator that would that would enhance the projection of the sound. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the amp is designed to sit on the floor to get the best sound from the passive radiator, so maybe it wouldn't work.

Any thoughts?
  2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I have a friend who always elevates his 12" Scout. It sounds great,wth plenty of low end, although he usually goes through the PA as well.

If you want to provide a boundary effect like the floor provides, you'll need a big piece of plywood or something. I'm not sure of the math offhand, but it probably needs to extend outside the cab by at least the size of the driver on each side to be effective at all, and bigger would probably be better. An acoustically-coupled resonator would also need to be at least this size, so that the sound from the downfiring radiator could excite it properly. Coupling mechanically from the bottom of the Scout cab may or may not work OK. You could use a similar footprint to the Walkabout, but then you'll want to tune the resonator, maybe with a passive radiator. And then you'd have stage coupling issues like all cabs do, and you'd end up using a Gramma pad...

We had PA cabs at the local club sitting on some big plywood boxes for a couple of weeks. The extra boominess wasn't to my liking. I think you'd be opening a can of worms, if that isn't already obvious. Mmmmmm...worms! :cool:
  3. emor

May 16, 2004
    Can open. Worms everywhere.... :D

Might as well just buy another cab.

What does your friend use to elevate his?
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Bar stool. Works great. I've played my EUB through his rig, sounds great too. I came really close to buying one myself. Have fun!
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You've just re-invented the "Folded Horn".

Here's an example:-

6. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Where is JammaDave? we were just pondering this a bit the other day.
  7. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
  8. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Dude, I'm not sure if you'll have problems hearing it. I can hear my 12er better that my last two rigs. It just cuts through.
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It's not a new invention. Actually it's so old that people stopped using it for a while there. There are plenty of companies that have made them in the past and there's a bit of a resurgence happening now.