Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speakers...Amps???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazzin', Jul 31, 2004.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

are amps made for basses only and then amps others made for guitars only? or all all amps the same since they all have the same purpose which is to amplify sound signals? and are all speakers good for all instruments? or must i use special speakers which are made for a bass? What happens if i plug a bass into a guitar amp combo?

2. The power amp sections of amps will generally work the same for bass, guitar, a PA system or whatever. However, the Preamp sections of guitar and bass amps are generally much different. The knobs of a guitar amp will adjust frequencies in a range appropriate for guitar; likewise, a bass amps knobs will adjust in a range suitable for bass. Plenty of bassists use guitar heads
    for distortion or "clanky" sounds.

Speakers in guitar and bass cabs are much different. Running a bass through most, if not all, guitar speakers at a performance volume will blow them out at some point. Bass speakers are designed to handle lower frequencies and in many cases more power since bass need more raw power for the same perceptible volume. Guitar will be fine through bass speakers (though tone may be muddy), but bass through guitar speakers is never a good idea.

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

thanx, my music teacher(at school) told me once that i should not put my bass into the guitar amps that were there. now i know why. my brother also wanted me to plug my bass into these giant speakers he has, but i guess i shouldn't, cuz ill ruin them. they aren't really his, he distributes them, cuz hes an audio distributor, but i cant get any deals off of him cuz he only does DJ stuff.