1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speakers and cab choices for me.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jimmyjames77, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Hey all. I'm currently playing through 2 Earcandy bassbombs with eminences in them through a Peavey Classic 400. Sometimes straight in to the FX return. I've been very happy, I thought, with the tone up til' now. Very thick in the low end. Just how I like my bass. Yesterday I received my new Fender P and I got curious how she'd sound through other amp and cab combinations. So I put the P through everything I had in my studio. I went straight into my VHT 2150 Power amp into my orange guitar cab which has EVM12ls and through my Mesa Cab with v30s in it. I even went through the PV into the Orange cab. What I noticed was a very detailed tone that has a clarity in the mids that the Earcandys just don't. Very woody and midrangy. If I could get the thickness of the earcandys and the detail of the Orange/EVM combo that'd be heaven.
    My question... is it the EVMs and the V30s that are the main contributors to the tone I'm getting when running through the guitar cabs? I'm assuming it is but say I put the EVMs in the earcandy cab, would I get that clarity in that earcandy cab?
    Now here's me being hopeful, would I be able to get the Mids and clarity from the EVMs AND keep the thick bass from the Earcandy. My thought is that maybe some of the lowend thickness is coming from the Bassbomb design. I'm no authority in this area so I'm just grasping at straws here.
    Thanks for the help guys, I hope this was somewhat clear.
    Jim.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    doubtful you'll get everything you want if you do that swap-a-roo. guitar speakers aren't designed to go low like bass speakers and can easily blow. what you should do if you want both is set up two rigs. let the bassbombs take the low end brunt, and roll off the low end off the guitar stuff and just let it do the high end stuff you like. yes, i know...a lot of work...but i'm pretty sure you'll find speaker swapping unsatisfactory.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1

Let each set of speakers do what they're best at. Below 200-400hz to the bass speakers, above 200-400hz to the guitar speakers. I don't know, with a C400 you should be able to get all the power, volume, grit etc. that you want. Might be easier to do away with the cabs and get one big one or 2 medium sized ones that sound good by themselves.

ie: 115+115 or 212+212, 410+410, etc.

4. Yeah I did have that thought. Just being frugal at this point. :meh:

5. The EVMs are 200 watt speakers each so I thought that MAYBE they could be used if not pushed too hard???

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    What are the 12L's in? Could try that plus one bassbomb. Would either have to keep the volume medium or somehow keep the lows away from the EV if you wanted to let that amp open up and do what it can do. Actually it could kill a single cab on the lowend cranked up too.

Maybe figure out if you can hook up all the cabs with some creative series wiring or something and use the OD channel on the C400 but start out with the input gain low and the output higher and start with a relatively cleanish signal, then add dirt and volume and judge the tradeoff between dirt/volume/speaker ability to handle it/ and go from there.

7. The EVMs are in an orange guitar cab.

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Wattage doesn't have much to do with a bass as with other higher-voiced instruments. With a bass, it's excursion (the spec "xmax"). That's how far a speaker can move back and forth before it farts out, craps out or in cases of seeing the absolute limit (xlim) or "limit", shorts out or rips apart.

That's the physical limits of the speaker holding itself together and the 12L doesn't have much of that.

To contrast that, it is a loud speaker, as in decibels coming out per watt going in, in all but the lowend. And it does have a nice sounding "breakup". ie: the point where it's being pushed towards it's limits but not past them.

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If they're in an "Orange" brand guitar cab you could probably sell it and fund whatever you think you might need to make your bass rig the killer of all other bass rigs. Not because there's anything special about it, it's a couple EV's in a wood box, but because it says "Orange" on it.

Sell that off, plus sell off the earcandy cabs and get a berg, or peavey, or ampeg, aguilar or whatever other 412 and call it a day.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    False frugality. All is lost when you exceed X[SUB]max[/SUB] of those guitar speakers. You'll be buying new ones.

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You would with twelve inch woofers and six inch midrange drivers. :hyper:
    There's no such thing as woofers that go really low and loud and still have mids like the EVs. OTOH there's no need to be schlepping 20 pound twelves for the mids when five pound sixes will give even better mids than the EVs. What you should be looking at is a cab that uses twelves or fifteens and sixes.

12. This is all great info. Thanks!
    Like I'd mentioned before, I'm not that knowledgable when it comes to Speakers and cabs. I know what I like and I've read what other people seem to think is good but I'm not sure, exactly, how to get it. Yet anyway.