Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

speakers, cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ashton, Oct 4, 2001.

1. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    can anyone tell me if there are any 4 ohm cabs out there. i have a hartke HA2000 head, 200watts at 4 ohms and ive only found 8 ohm cabs, id like a 4ohm cab to run alot more power into. are there any made anyway.
    any help appreciated
    later
    Lukas

2. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Most manufacturers make a few 4ohm cabs it just depends on what you want and what kind of sound you want and your cashflow.

3. You can also get two 8 ohm cabs and run them parallel. This would give you 4 ohms. And more drivers will push more air.

Check the Carvin site. They have some 4 ohm cabs.

www.carvin.com

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Peavey makes the 115BXBW, the 410TVX and the 412TVX, all available in 4 ohm.

The 412TVX should be driven by at least 500 watts IMHO, though the 115BXBW and 410TVX would work with your amp just fine.

Great cabs at a great price.

5. In my recent express hunt for cabs I came across a few 4 ohm ones, I'd noted down these bits:-

Carvin 1 x 15 that'll handle 600W and weigh 66lb, £270

Alumabass C210 that'll handle 400W,£330, weighing 55lbs

Eden do a few that offer you the choice of either buying them as 8 ohm or 4 ohm ones... at least the D410XLT (700W,98lbs,£999) and
    D410T (540W,90lbs,£799) and
    D210T (250W, 60lbs,£599) and
    D210XLT (350W,68lbs,£699) and probably more.

I'm sure there are more, but I was hunting for two 8 ohm cabs. I'm also sure these prices are negotiable too - they certainly knocked some off for me.

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
  7. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    martinipv, sorry if i spell your name wrong but......if i get two 8ohm cabs and the head that will be running them is 200watts @ 4ohms how much power will i get. whats the best thing to do to get the most power?
    thanks
    Lukas

8. You will get 200 watts. 100 watts to each cabinet.

Running 4 ohms is the best thing to get the most power. The power output will be reduced if you run an 8 ohm load. Don't run below the minimum recommended by the manufacturer or the amp will overheat (ie. If your amp is rated for a 4 ohm minimum load, don't connect speakers that give a 2 ohm load).

BTW: martininpv stands for Martin in Pflugerville. The inpv added to my name always gives me a unique name when signing up for computer accounts.

9. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I have an amp that can handle 2 ohms. Does this mean that I can run four 8 ohm and two 4 ohm cabinets? The amp says that 8 ohms will have 120 watts, 4 ohms will have 200 watts and 2 ohms will have 300 watts.

10. It means you can run four 8 ohm -or- two four ohm.

Four 8 ohm cabs result in a 2 ohm load.
    Two 4 ohm cabs result in a 2 ohm load.

Together they would be a 1 ohm load. No good.

11. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Then I assume that the two 4 ohm cabinets would be louder unless I get four 8 ohm cabinets....

12. If it is the same cab, with the same speaker (except for 4 ohm instead of 8), yes.

If the cabs or speaker(s) is different then it depends upon the efficeincy of the cabinet.

Your amp will generate more power with two 4 ohm cabs than it will with two 8 ohm cabs.