Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speakers can be damage under this condition?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David Vega, Oct 2, 2005.

1. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    Hi all:

If in a front ported cab, the port is obstructed or sealed by , say, tape, tha speaker or speakers can be damaged?

thanks
    DV

2. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    I would have thought that, if anything, the speakers would be *less likely* to be damaged, as with the port taped up the box would be more like a sealed cab and hence there would be less speaker movement -> less chance of damage (especially below the 'tuned' frequency of the cab).

3. Most speakers are designed for sealed and ported enclosures, so unless they are designed specifically for ported only i wouldn't be worried. I'm sure checking with the manufacturer of the speakers will clear that up.

4. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    thanks for the help!! and clarification

5. I think going the other way, porting a sealed cabinet, would get you in more trouble. This seems relatively safe. You get more backpressure, less cone excursion closing the port.

You also would get less bass response, so if you crank up the low EQ to compensate, you might run into problems, I suppose.

Randy

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Hmmm...I asked Andy Lewis about that once when I was trying to get the low end of my Acme cabinets under control...

He said that closing a port would actually lower the tuning frequency of his cabinet.

FWIW... He didn't say it would cause any risk or void any warranty.