1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speakers- difference in sound of series vs. parallel...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sunbeast, Nov 3, 2006.

1. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I recently bought a 4x12" cab with the speakers wired in series/ parallel for an 8 ohm load (all 8 ohm speakers). I rewired all the speakers in parallel to get a 2 ohm load...

I was wondering what effect on sound series vs. parallel wiring of speakers has. I searched and found a few related topics- a few people said that speakers wired in series will sound more "loose", could anyone be more specific about this- ie, what causes this "looseness".
    I am not currently able to try both speaker wiring configurations through the same amp, so I am at the mercy of your vast knowledge....:p

Also, does the impedance of the speakers effect the function of the tweeter crossover in any way? Do I need to change the values of the capacitors/ coil in the crossover to accomodate the 2 ohm load? ( I assume that it doesn't matter, but figured I should ask....)

Thanks,
    Karl Zickrick

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The lowered system inductance will extend high frequency response.
    It does matter, if the cab has a crossover, with a high pass section for the tweeter and a low pass for the woofers. Lowering the woofer section impedance from 8 to 2 ohms will raise the frequency of the low-pass filter by two octaves. If there is only a high-pass on the tweeter then it's not a crossover, and changing the woofer load won't matter.

3. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for clearing up that "crossover" question- I had heard it stated that the load of the speakers would effect even just a high pass setup, which didn't make sense to me.

Also, are you saying that series wiring will cause lower system inductance? (therefore more treble)- does the description "looser" response have any truth?

Thanks,
    Karl

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    "Looser" isn't a technical term, so I can't say. Series wiring raises inductance, which is additive just like impedance and resistance.

5. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    The term "Looser" applies more to the amplifier's resistance to produce energy. A higher ohm (resistance), will make the amplifier unable to send all of it's power to "move" the speaker. Lower impedance (resistance), will make the amplifier able to deliver more of it's power. But you need a minimum resistance. I find lower impedance loads to be not quite as sharp in sound definition, especially if you listen to quality music (well recorded, with many different instruments). However, for a Bass player, this is not so much a concern (IMO). Many players, including myself, like a little color to their tone, so unless you need a perfectly flat response, and play regularly over many octaves, you probably won't notice the definition difference.