1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speakers for 2x12 cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RyanT, Sep 17, 2019.

1. RyanT

RyanT

Sep 17, 2019
    Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have an unloaded fender CB212 cab. Sits nice under my vintage V-4B.

It’s a sealed cab, originally meant for guitar. Internal dimensions should be about 27”x21”x10”.

I’m looking at eminence speakers: basslite 2012, legend bp122, maybe a deltalite?

I play mostly funk and soul, and like a tone that’s warm and punchy with a bit of grind. Something like an svt810.

I hear the bp122 is great for sealed cabs, and gets plenty of bass, but do they sound muddy? Would one speaker give me more volume than another?

I know that I will have to line the cab and maybe add a bit of bracing. It already has one support running front to back.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  3. Jules Meuffels

Jules Meuffels Commercial User

Apr 14, 2016
    The Netherlands
    Custom Shop Bass Cabinets
    If you like a sealed cab, the Legend is the right choice. (EBP < 100) If you stick in a large long port for extra punch, go with the Deltalite or Basslite. What do you mean with:"Would one speaker give me more volume than another?"

4. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    The cab is a little shallow for bass use. 10" deep is very guitarish, bass likes 14"+ deep.
    Of utmost importance: you need to choose speakers that work well with the internal volume of the cab, ported or not ported, etc... This will require running a lot of numbers and figures through various cabinet and cabinet tuning calculators available online.

5. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    I suppose someone has to ask whether turning a reasonable guitar cab into a mediocre (at best) bass cabinet is really a good thing.

DJ Bebop, AstroSonic and S-Bigbottom like this.
  6. I built a pair of single 12 cabs using the Eminence Basslite 2012 drivers. I used the cabinet internal volume and details from the Eminence data sheet (between 1.1 and 1.3 cubic feet) and they worked out really well.

7. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    DJ Bebop and seamonkey like this.
  8. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    The enclosure is about 3.2-3.3 cubic feet. FWIW, the Basslite is more sensitive and has more top end. However, the trick will be tuning the cab properly. I agree with the above, it's a reasonable guitar cab, but will be mediocre for bass.

9. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    What are you planning for the cab, OP? If it's for the house and won't need to be huge loud, I'd vote again for the MCM. They are really good for a mere 20 bucks. (And to clarify a typo I made in my first post) they offer the model as 4 ohm and 8 ohm.

If you need a rehearsal or gigging level of cab, put some decent guitar drivers in there and sell it. Buy a bass cab. You need purpose-designed proper equipment for your work tools.

DJ Bebop, Nevada Pete and abarson like this.