Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speakers for 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by full_bleed, May 29, 2005.

1. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    I'm going to give it a go at building an 8x10 cab. I was wondering what you guys think would be a suitable speaker for me. I would like for it to handle around 1000 watts or so. I own a couple of peavey heads my loudest one is 700 watts.

2. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
  3. Peavey Firebass (or Max 700) eh? nice one ;)

Unless its a 2ohm cab or you have another one i dont think you really need to bother, i think the peavey cab ive got is only rated at 350watts and its fine at a push, probably better safe than sorry i spose

4. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    just make sure all of your speakers are 32 ohms individually so you'll end up with a 4 ohm cabinet

5. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    uh there's more than one way to get an 4 ohm load. Or am I missing something?

6. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    well i'm not sure what you are talking about if you are making an 8x10 cabinet...if each speaker is 16ohms individually you'll end up with a 2 ohm cabinet..if they are 8 ohms individually it will end up being a 1 ohm cabinet....if they are 4 ohms individually it will be a 1/2 ohm cabinet...lol....at least that's how i know it works.... :bag:

if you want a 1000 watts then each speaker needs to be 125 watts each...for a total of 1000watts for the cabinet...just like the 32 ohms x 8 speakers will make a 4 ohm cabinet all together

7. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    well if they are all eight ohm can't you run two of them together to get 16 then pair them with another two and get 8 and then do the same thing with the other four speakers and then pair those together to get 4 ohms?

8. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    32 ohms and 32 ohms put together makes 16 ohms
    16 and 16 makes 8
    8 and 8 makes 4
    4 and 4 makes 2

two 8 ohm speakers makes 4 ohms...not 16

9. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    right so like i said
    8 + 8 = 16
    8 + 8 = 16 then 16 + 16 = 8
    8 + 8 = 16
    8 + 8 = 16 then 16 + 16 = 8
    then wire the two 8 ohm loads together to get 4
    You can wire a speaker so that an ohm load increase also

10. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    that's the way I always have done it in car audio

11. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    [​IMG]
    my bad I added a step. it's late what do you expect

12. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    You didnt specify paralell or series wiring, but in order to get the best, most evenly distributed wattage, wiring it in all paralell is optimum.

13. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    no no...look at what you wrote....8+8 =16.....that's wrong...8+8 = 4....i'm no wiring expert or anything so it might work a different way

..i don't really know....i just know that's how 8x10 cabinets are made by ampeg, mesa, etc....they all have 32 ohm individual speakers put together to make 4 ohms

14. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    all I really wanted was some suggestions for speaker to use

15. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    I know it was wrong what I wrote. You mean to tell me that every single 8 10 cab is run with 32 ohm speakers yet i can't find one anywhere? Which ones should I be looking at using. I know this may read as me being snide but I don't mean it like that

16. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    lol...sorry man...i'm just trying to help ....not very good at it huh....

17. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    there's probably a different way to wire it to work with different ohm speakers...i don't know how though

18. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    8 of those would handle 4000W. Also they have huge Xmax values (3.6mm if I remember ok). I think with 1000W they won't even move (more so if the cabinet is sealed) so it may be a good choice if you need a hi-fi kinda sound but if you look for a more vintage sound I suggest lower power rating cabs.

ANDRUCA

19. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    Damn so I guess that means that my only suggestion so far isn't even a possibility