1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

speakers for a vintage ampeg tube amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dlmarquez, Aug 15, 2007.

1. I have a mid sixties vintage Ampeg portaflex. (fliptop). It's the B18N. The amp makes great vintage sound, its 50wrms I believe. However I would like to run something much more contemporary in terms of speakers:
    say a phil jones bass 4 or 6 speaker cabinet, or perhaps something from EA or Bergantino. any suggestions? I play fretless and I want to try some ultraclean speakers with the old ampeg tube head. Besides, the 18 bottom weighs about 75 lbs. I think my back would love something about 1/2 to 2/3 that!

2. How abou the Sadowsky SA410- made for tube amps....designed by Mr Berg himself!!!! ??????? I DO know MY V4BH sounds superb thru my old EV TL 1x15" cab & especially thru the NV610!

3. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I can understand why you're considering a modern speaker to obtain higher sensitivity and/or greater excursion. But, if your venerable Ampeg is in good condition, you may undermine its value by replacing its speaker with something unusual like the ones used by pjb.

4. +1 keep the cab as is if at all possible. If U do want a different cab.. use an extension cab- a separate one. Then U can at least put the fliptop as original if needed!

5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    IMO it's a fine line you're walking. Vintage and "Spine Friendly" are two worlds that don't always/often go together in the same sentence, or paragraph for that matter. It seems like you've got some research and experimentation to do. There are a lot of options available, don't do anything that isn't reversible to your existing rig. Buy used and stick with higher quality, you should be able to find a compromise. IMHO, that's what your search is about, compromising. You may very well end-up more satisfied in the long run, but you never know, our ears and hearts are funny in that way.