1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speakers for heavy effects use.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hector_G, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Hector_G

Hector_G

Apr 6, 2009
    El Paso, Texas
    I think I'm on the search for some new cabs.

I like my Hartke Hydrive stack for my metal band, but when I'm so afraid to run my pedal board through it at loud volumes.
    With some effects, the speakers look like they're ready to explode. It seems like the sealed cabinet doesn't project the deep lows as much as I'd like.

Yes, I've tried to search but couldn't come up with anything closely relating to my needs.

I guess I'm looking for a ported cab with deep lows. I'm going to be running an octave pedal a lot of the time. The FM4 puts out pretty heavy sounds as far as low frequencies go as well.

I'm thinking maybe Avatar as I've read they go pretty deep.
    Should I even stick with 10's or should i go bigger?
    I'm trying to stick to cabs under $800. So that excludes the 21" Accugroove El Whappo Grande that's for sale in the classifieds right now. (GAS)

Maybe i should look at full on P.A. rigs?

And... am I right in thinking that sealed cabs aren't quite the best for this application? I do believe I've read numerous times that the lower frequencies start to roll off at a sharper curve in sealed boxes.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Assuming you're not insanely boosting levels when you use effects, there is nothing wrong with the speakers. Most newer bass speakers have higher xmax than the older ones, which often makes them look like they're about to jump out of the cab, especially neos. If the cabs aren't making fart noises, I think you're getting worked up over nothing. Those Hydrives can take a goodly amount of power before they blow up.

3. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    You are right that sealed cabs roll off the lower frequencies earlier than ported cabs. But depending on your band, this may be vital to keeping the sound tight in a live setting. If your band plays anything fairly notey or fast, the tighter bass from a sealed cab can help these parts sound much cleaner- the deep lows that sound good to you in slower parts can really muddy up more intricate parts.

I've played in a variety of metal bands, and had clear preferences for cabinets with most of them- for the more intricate stuff I much prefer a sealed cabinet with 10s (though I always wanted to try a sealed cab with 12s). For slower stoner/doom metal, it's all about a ported 2x15 cab. I've also noticed that you can get much more perceived volume from a sealed cab, as you can cut out the lower bass frequencies on the amp that the cab can't really produce efficiently anyway (and those frequencies eat up amplifier power/headroom quickly!)- and this also makes sealed cabs much more punchy in general than ported cabs. Depending on your amplifier setup, you may find you'll need more power to get the deep lows you are looking for through a ported cab.

Your technique also makes a big difference- if you play with a pick, you can get away with using ported 15s if you play near the bridge during intricate parts. With fingers, I was never able to get tight enough tone from 15s, but could EQ a ported 4x12 to work with some creative tone shaping.

As far as using an octave pedal with a sealed cab, I think you'd just be pushing the speakers to go lower than the cab could support (ie- the speakers can reproduce the frequencies, but your cabinet won't project them no matter how much you boost them!)- so you'd be much more likely to overpower them and still not get the deep lows you are looking for. A ported cab with 12s or 15s would be ideal for a lower octave effect, though you should check the frequency response on any cab first- even many ported cabs don't really go deep enough to get the gut shaking lows from an octave down...

Karl

4. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you need to run an octave pedal, there is no bass cabinet on the market that will adequately handle your needs except maybe the SVT410HLF or one of the bigger 4x12s. It might sound OK, but if you pop a hard open E with an octaver on, it doesn't take much to make distortion and lots of it.

Here's one where I am legitimately going to jump in and say 'get a fEarful' - because it handles effects, particularly deep low end from octavers and synths, better than anything that is commercially available and that includes many PA subs (but obviously not all).

For your budget, I would suggest a fEarful 1212/6 from LDS as a good option. It'll take more power than the 15/6 and get more out of a standard bass head due to the 4 ohmness. It should come in under your budget.

5. Charles Fields

Charles Fields

Mar 30, 2009
    The eden 4-10 xlt is tuned an otave lower, with the tweeter off it almost sound's like an 18 as far as moving air i don't think you would need much more.