1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Speakers going bad?" on SWR Redhead. Anyone had this problem?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by titanbandman, Mar 8, 2008.

1. I am looking at a used SWR Redhead online. The seller claims the amp is fine, but the "speakers are going bad". It is for sale for a discount because of this. Could this be a cheap fix with new Eminence Speakers or Cones, or should I stay away. I see these things going for 800 to 1000 used/ 11 to 13 new. This one is for $550, so I'd have some room to work with getting it repaired - however, it will need to be shipped to me...I can't hear the amp. Please advise. Thanks. :eyebrow:

2. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    They could be just worn out. Budget for replacements or reconing and then be surprised.

3. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    As far as I know, aren't speakers blown or not blown? If they are distorting, then chances are that they are already blown and not necessarily on the verge.
    FWIW, I used to love my redhead, but I found it pretty underpowered for most applications. It sounds great though if you don't need a lot of volume.

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Maybe get it on the condition that it is just the speakers that are damaged. If it's anything else sort out a partial refund or send it back or something.

As for replacement speakers well your best bet maybe to email SWR and see what they say.

5. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Unless you get a chance to try just the head portion with speakers you know work, I would pass on the amp. Lots of distortion problems with older amps can masquerade as speaker problems. Its like a used car with the seller telling you there are problems with the motor. Maybe yes maybe no but if you check against a known good speaker, you will know in a second if at least the head ( the most expensive component of that combo) is good to go.
    And to the poster who suggested you call SWR customer service, thats a bad chioce. They have little to offer except under warantee situations and even then, they're pretty uncommitted since the Fender takeover a few years ago. Better off buying the same speakers from a distributor online.

6. Common problem with SWR SuperRedheads is that the amp is way too powerful for the speakers - but SWR clearly points that out in the owner's manual. (Manual available for download at swrsound.com). I'll guess it's a slightly older 350W model, and not an older 250W? (This year's model is back to just "Redhead," and it's 450W). So, the prior owner could have run the 2x10s ragged (really need to watch the clip LEDs, and use an ext. cab), could have shut the cooling fan off too often (the noise irks some folks). The pre-amp tube could be worn out as well. If you're willing to budget $200+ for new speakers and $16 for the tube....

7. Rob L

Rob L Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Chilly ND
    I really like my Redhead. It is now just sitting in the corner, getting no play time, and that's a shame as they are great combo amps.

If you feel can trust the seller and he will work with you might be able to get him drop down a bit.

It seems to be a crap shoot when there are problems with something and the seller will not fix the problem ahead of time, before the sale.

They are great combos as far as I'm concerned though. If it doesn't work out for you I can sell you mine. ;)

Good Luck,
    Rob