1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speakers/Studio monitors for "woodshed" use.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jcerio, Jun 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jcerio

jcerio Gold Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I'm currently interested in finding a pair of good powered speakers or studio monitors for use at home for practice, learning new tunes, and so on. The average consumer computer speaker doesn't really have the clarity and faithful bass reproduction I'd like, making it very difficult to pick out bass lines. Id say that my budget would be from $400 - $600 US. Any suggestions?

2. I have the M Audio 5" wich I feel is more than enough for practice. IIRC, it rolls off quick at 60hz. A friend has the KRK 8" plus sub which is much better for mixing but way over kill for practice. Wait for 4th of July sales if you can.

dannylectro likes this.
  3. jcerio

jcerio Gold Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    There are a set of KRK Rokit 8 G3 speakers available locally for $400. I figure I would offer the guy $300. They go for $249 each brand new. I think those would work really well.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Also check out Song Surgeon software. Along with an excellent slow downer, it has a 31 band eq with 20db of increase and 30db of cut to easily isolate bass or any other instrument. Cut the bass to make a play along file or use it as an HPF. It also allows you to save an eq adjusted song to file.

New version 5 has recently been released with chord recognition.

It also allows you to save an eq. adjusted song as a file.

I use it with my computer mic input for my bass with Logitech powered speakers/sub (about $100).Similar to this: Logitech - Z623 2.1 Speaker System (3-Piece) - Black 97855066466 | eBay

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Stumbo likes this.
  6. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Studio monitors will require a matched sub-woofer in order to get the bass clarity you are looking for.

7. dannylectro

dannylectro

Aug 2, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I use M-Audio AV40's. Five inch speaker. They cost less than $100 each. Everything I need for low volume practice, along with a Focusrite 2i4.

The monitors are probably no longer in production; I'm sure there must be an equivalent available.