1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speakers, subwoofers, how do they work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by musicbikeman, Oct 9, 2009.

1. musicbikeman

musicbikeman

Aug 10, 2009
    Michigan
    So, I am trying to figure out how to pair speakers. I understand that bass cabinets have thicker speakers than guitar cabinets, so that they will move the air and vibrate with the slower frequency of the bass, but I'm wondering at what point does the speaker size, as in its thickness, switch from guitar to bass. Also, would subwoofers like the ones "really cool" people put in their trunks do anything with a bass cab if you linked them? Weird idea, but yeah. Thanks.

2. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    :eyebrow:

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    there are lots of variables that determine what a speaker is good for. apart from the design of the speaker itself, the cabinet it is in has several design parameters that affect the sound.

Car subwoofer are not made for bass guitar. nor are home theater subs. Ditto for any car or home stereo speakers.

The thickness of the paper cones in the speakers themselves is only one variable, and doesn't have anything to do with vibrating slower.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design