Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lesfleanut, Mar 4, 2002.

1. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    what are the best replacement speakers? What should I look for?

2. from what i know try to get a replacement very similar to your old on (dimensions, voice coil, magnet weight etc) if not a new speaker that is the same model. i say this becase most better cabinets are built around the driver, for the most part. i think this is right

3. Bumping will not get you answers any better than you already have.

Cabinets are designed to the specifications of the driver. Using anything other than the same type of speakers runs the risk of your cabinet sounding like crap

4. EdenSmith

EdenSmith Guest

All cab manufacturers design the box to match the parameters of the drivers they are using. You can put the best, most expensive speakers in any cab, but if the box is not tuned (ported) properly to match those speakers, it can end up sounding like total dookie. If you must replace your speakers and can't or don't want to go with the originals, contact a company like Eminence. They are pretty good at telling you what speakers they have that will work well for your application. And they make many different kinds of drivers at a wide range of pricing.

5. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Simplify it, recone what you have.

Mike