Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

speaking of bass pics....ZON Lightwave

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Jan 10, 2001.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    still loving my ZON Lightwave...check it out at

http://www.hodshon.com

click on bass guitar.

one of these days, some audio...

fred

2. Goddamn!! that is one beautiful bass!!

and wow! your résumé(sp?) is pretty big! :)

3. Great Bass! What kind of pickups does it have? You are a truly lucky player.

4. phunkjam, if i'm correct there are light sensors (lasers?) above the strings on the bridge that convert the visual movement of the strings into sound, rather than magnetic pickups.

5. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    ZON Guitars: http://www.zonguitars.com

Lightwave Infrared Pickups: http://www.lightwave-systems.com

The pickups are ANALOGUE and INFRARED (not lasers).

What got me so hopped up on these pickups was Rob Allen (www.roballenguitars.com).

I was at the Bass Exchange in Los Angeles one weekend, and fell in love with a fretless 4 string Rob Allen MB2 semi-hollow bass with piezo pickups.

I bought it!!!!! HOWEVER, the neck went SQUIRRELY and couldn't be fixed...really frustrating. Since Rob's basses became so popular, the time it would take for me to get a new neck/bass was too long. Plus, all this made me rethink neck materials.

I went back to the Bass Exchange and tried a new ZON Lightwave fretless Sonus. GODDAMN!!!!!!!! Like a Rob Allen on METH! AND NO NECK ISSUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe Zon was great to work with and so were the folks at Lightwave Systems.

I'll be upgrading the electronics this year with a new "motherboard" that will allow plugin modules (i think). For example, they will have add-on boards to allow MIDI, EQ, etc....

Can't friggin wait....

To top it off...I went out and bought a new EDEN rig that TOTALLY compliments this bass. WT400 and 210-XLT...

FK!!!!!!!

fred

6. Wow, I've never heard about that type of pickup before. I'll have to read up on it? How does it compare to other types?

7. I just received my 5 string Zon Lightwave Fretless on Saturday direct from Mr. Zon. The setup is amazing - the strings are practically laying on the neck! I had asked for a low setup, but never expected it to be this low. It has a great tone - especially on the higher end.

Have you tweaked the electronics? The lower frequencies aren't as punchy as I would like. Any recommendations?

8. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    Jeff,

Congrats on your ZON!!!

I find that the new EDEN setup gives the Lightwave PLENTY of low end.

Its a different animal, but just wait until you try it in a band setting....the sound sits perfectly in my op.

fred

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Jeff, that was my experience with the LW. I could get a big sound but not a punchy sound... not that there's anything wrong with that;)

That's why I stuck with my Legacy fretless 5. It's capable of LW-like tone and mag pickup punch.

10. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i tried many basses before finally deciding on a lightwave equipped ZON.

legacy included.

i'm partial to a pickup that accurately conveys the instrument materials rather than coloring them. the lightwaves do just that.

this is not a novel concept...read what vinnie fodera and roger sadowsky say about how an electric instrument should sound...if it sounds good unamplified, then you've got a winner.

regarding punch, i add just a touch of mid boost from my WT400 EDEN head and i've got enough punch to last the whole gig.

of course, ANY instrument from the factory floor of JOE ZON is gonna kick ass!

fred

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

12. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    we've been over this before brad.

not sure why you feel the need to confront me on my opinions.

fred

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Actually I thought I was responding to Jeff's comment about punch... then you responded to that. Was I wrong?

It's true, we've been over this before, on the alt.bass... site, which I don't bother with anymore, quite some time ago. You still have your opinion of the LW bass and I still have mine. If you would like people to think this is the perfect all-around bass, cool... I take back everything I said;) I'm not putting the bass down, I never have, just giving another perspective for anyone who may be interested in what I'd consider an objective opinion.

We seem to have differing opinions... sorry if I "confronted" you about yours. If you really wanted no other opinions I apologize. I have no problems if yours differ from mine. Really.

Let the lovefest continue:D I still like Zons.

14. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    >Actually I thought I was responding to Jeff's comment >about punch... then you responded to that. Was I wrong?

initially you were....then you ripped into my comments.

>It's true, we've been over this before, on the alt.bass... >site, which I don't bother with anymore, quite some time >ago.

i hardly bother with the group that much anymore as well.

>You still have your opinion of the LW bass and I still >have mine. If you would like people to think this is the >perfect all-around bass, cool...

i never EVER said that!!!!! that's what i have a problem with...you put words in my mouth. you still don't grasp what i'm getting at with this bass/pickup config...you still accuse me of being overly technical and not concerned with "sound"...i give up...

>I take back everything I said I'm not putting the bass >down, I never have, just giving another perspective for >anyone who may be interested in what I'd consider an >objective opinion.

that's fine, but i get the feeling you follow me around rebutting any comments i have about this bass....have i EVER come into ANY of your threads telling others how off base you are with your opinions?

>We seem to have differing opinions... sorry if >I "confronted" you about yours. If you really wanted no >other opinions I apologize. I have no problems if yours >differ from mine. Really.

don't give me that passive/agressive crap about me not wanting other opinions and you taking back everything you've said...

look, do i follow you around taking issue with your opinions on basses...HARDLY...

>Let the lovefest continue I still like Zons.

whatever Brad...

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    You might want to check out this recent thread, Fred:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=9997

I wasn't "following" Munji around, I just related my Lakland experience which spurred a followup question from the Munj. I wasn't trying to be mean...honest:D
    I'm also very interested in his views of his new fretless.

Here's another one. I wasn't following this guy around either;) Is it Carvin bashing... or someone's experience with the same situation?

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=7520

17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    fhodshon -

Welcome to TalkBass.

Now, Brad's been here for a long time (longer than myself as a matter of fact), and you are the first person I've seen take offense at anything he's said. He may be opinionated, but usually his opinions are based on fact and experience, and he states them clearly as opinions, not as laws of nature or any such nonsense. Matter of fact, having read through this particular thread, I don't see anything at all for you to be offended by. He even complimented your bass (and rightfully so, it's quite a stunner, and I'm sure it sounds incredible as well).

I don't want to get into a squirting contest (especially as a moderator in another mod's baliwick), but it seems that you were LOOKING for something to get upset about. Of course, I wasn't a party to the other disagreements between yourself and Brad elsewhere, but, basing things on what I think we all know of Brad here, it would seem you're a bit out of line. To me it even seems that you attacked Brad, not vice-versa. All he did was voice his opinion, and he even said very nice things about the LW Sonus', he just said they weren't for him. I don't understand how that could possibly be construed as a personal attack on anyone.

One thing that goes on a great deal here is discussion based on different opinions. We all like it (I hope), as it gives us all new insights at times. But, we don't need such accusatory and attacking posts, these things can easily be discussed in a rational and calm manner. I for one would appreciate you making the effort to do so, although I can't speak for Stingray5 or Deynn, the actual moderators of this particular forum.

If you can't disagree politely, may I suggest you attempt to resurrect the Lakland forum? (That is a joke, by the way :D) I hope you decide to stick around (politely), I'm sure there's something we can all learn from each other, and this is a great place to share that knowledge.

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Thanks, Gard, but this isn't a big deal. Fred loves his bass (understandably) and seems to take my opinions with a lot more weight than they deserve. They're just my opinions. Remember: I like Peavey Cirrus fretlesses:D What the heck do I know?

The passive-aggressive crap thing was pretty funny. If he "didn't" mind other opinions, what's the problem with mine?

This is what happened before and to tell the truth I find it amusing that he keeps inferring that I don't "understand" the bass. I've been in electronics (from component level up) since the mid-70's... I understand how the LW system works;)

That's not what my opinions are based on. They're based on playing several LW equipped basses, mainly the Zon but also LW's from other manufacturers (I still haven't played a fretted LW). The result was, like the Rob Allen, I loved the sound but saw some limitations. Is that a bad thing?

I know... passive-aggressive again;)

19. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Hi Brad and Fred,
    how do you think the L/W would sound mixed with regular pick up?
    I think it might be a good idea. I never tried a L/W bass before, unfortunatly.
    Remember in the first bass player buyers guide (I think).
    there was a company with a system similar to the one from L/W, are they similar?
    Have you seen any of those?

I'm just wondering....

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Interesting question, yvon. My understanding of one of the benefits of the LW system is, with the absence of the "pull" of a magnetic pickup, the string is allowed to vibrate more freely, thus more closely resembling the vibration pattern of an acoustic instrument. I can only guess what effect a mag pickup would have on the final sound but I suppose it would be very easy to test... temporarily mount a magnetic pickup over the strings. There is also a piezo element on the Zon, though I preferred the sound of the LW without it.

Not quite the same thing but I believe Andy Daventry mounted a mag pickup on his Rob Allen... I don't remember his final impressions on that, though I think he was pleased.