Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

speaking of CANTERBURY - soft machine volume 2!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Feb 7, 2003.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    the soft's volume 2 is one of my favorite LPs of all time.

for me, it rarely gets knocked out of the top spot.

THIRD of course is a milestone in music.

but as a bridge between the psychy tones of volume 1 and the jazz challenges of third, volume 2 stands out as an untouchable masterpiece.

in my opinion of course.

[​IMG]

http://freespace.virgin.net/ldt.home/softmachine2.htm

f

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Fred,

All this time and I somehow missed that you were into "the good stuff." :)

brad cook

3. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
  4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Very nice! The first thing I checked out was the K section...yup...well stocked on the King Crimson!

Art Zoyd, Art Bears...nice..., Jon Hassell (one of my faves!), Hatfield and the North, MAN...you have more Henry Cow albums than anyone I know! National Health, extensive Zappa (of course), Matching Mole...

Awesome collection but there's one glaring omission here...where's the MAGMA??!! They're truly one of my favorite prog bands (well zeuhl but whatever) of the 70's after King Crimson. Do you dig 'em?

brad cook

There's one glaring omission

5. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    yeah dude, it's pretty impressive, but where is the MAGMA???
    how can you live without kohntarkosz and live/hhai?

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was tempted to buy a live Soft Machine album last Friday - from the period of 3 - they had it under "avant garde" in Ray's Jazz Shop - but I didn't really know anything about it.

I like Hugh Hopper's contributions to Soft Machine - he has his own webpage :

http://www.musart.co.uk/hhhpage.htm

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

PS - I suppose what makes 1 & 2 different is Kevin Ayers presence - I've seen him a couple of times live in my home town recently - he was touring with "The Wizards of Twiddly" as his backing band - they are one of the few to carry on this "British Jazz Rock Avant Garde" tradition - you might try checking them out.

One of my favourite albums of all time is Kevin Ayers : Confessions of Dr. Dream - anybody like this one?