Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaking of Econo-boxes

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Ed Fuqua, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I am somewhat smitten with the new Toyota/Scion x/A. My most favorite car ever was a 1987 Toyota Tercel hatchback (150K and we woulda got the engine rebuilt but two of the replacement body panels {wrecks} weren't very good and we had some structural rust problems), with the 60/40 rear seat and the "square" cargo compartment I could tour a f**king trio, great mileage, low maintenance, long life.

So the Scion looks pretty sweet, kind of cross between a Matrix (which I don't dig so much) and a MiniCooper (which despite Nick Ara's assurances that you can fit a 3/4 in, everytime I walk past one and lay my bass down beside it, I just don't see it happening).

Anybody driven one of these things? Oh and I don't care about the boxy jeepy one.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Haven't driven one, but I found some good info Here. It looks good. I love the hell out of my Civic hatchback, and this looks bigger. I'll look in my auto review issue of Consumer Reports and see what they have to say. One thing, though - at that horsepower, you'd definitely want the stick version.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Yeah, I've checked out Consumer Reports (not enough info to evaluate they say), Car and Driver, MotorTrends...
    New Car Test Drive had some good info ( www.nctd.com ) , but I was looking for any first hand.

I'd love a Mini, but I like having the option of taking both the piano player AND the tenor player out to East Bumf**k if I have to. 5 speed manual is standard, you gotta pay for automatic.

But I ain't looking for a go-car, really. Most of the times and places I'm driving, I'm going as fast as the TestaRossa in the next lane....

4. Man, I miss my hatchbacks. I've had a Tercel, a Korean Pontiac and a Saturn wagon, all of which were great for hauling the bass around and which I drove well past 100K.

But now that we've moved to the cul-de-sac, my wife has developed a severe case of SUV-envy. We've already got the minivan, but between the piss-poor mileage, trying to park the thing and getting hernias from removing the rear seat I finally resorted to stuffing the bass through the front door of our Taurus sedan.

I see Toyota is coming out with a hybrid version of the Highlander, a smaller SUV. Maybe I can convince her to go that route once gas hits $2.50/gal.

5. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Man, as much as I initially scoffed at 'em, those Scions are really starting to grow on me. They look a helluva lot better in person than they do in any of the photos I've seen. I haven't driven one, but last year I traded in my VR6 GTI (aka The Lemon Sled... no more veedubs for this guy :spit: ) for a new Toyota Corolla, and I couldn't be happier. The Toyota is dead reliable, comfortable, SIPS gas, and my bass rides shotgun comfortably. If the Scion lives up to Toyota's legendary quality, seems like you'd have a real winner on your hands. :cool:

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Ford bought Toyota's hybrid technology and they've got a "compact" SUV coming out in '05 that's hybrid. So at least you'll have something to A/B.

I'm trying to talk Kate into a test drive, I'll let everbody know what happens.

7. I logged my 88,800th mile today on my Jeep Laredo. No rattles, few repairs, room enough to carry both my Panormo and my Gagliano plus the ukeleles. Gas mileage is not stellar, but I can get another 3 years out of it. So I should spend $25K now for 5-10 more mpg?

I take Consumer Reports with a grain of salt. My personal experience has been contrary to what CR would have you believe.

OK, OK, it's an American Standard, not a Panormo. And a Dinu Farkas, not a Gagliano.

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    And it's not a Jeep Laredo, it's a Yugo. And it's 8,800 miles. But other than that...

9. GooseYArd

GooseYArd Guest

May 15, 2003
    I wouldn't buy anything that doesn't have a wing. And one of those great big mufflers.

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I've got an 85 ranger, with a topper. It has about 115K on it, and I have heard of people getting around 300K out of them. So this thing will be hauling my bass equiment for years to come. Gotta love it!

12. First, I recline the front passenger seat all way back. Then, the bass more or less on its side with bridge point foreward, I stick it straight in scroll-first through the passenger door as if I were going try to push it through the driver's side window. At the last second, I give it a left turn and start heading the scroll toward the rear window, at the same time rotating the bass radially so that it will lay on its back (having a generous amount of handles on your bass bag simplifies this maneuver).

With some shifting and jiggling, I manage to get the bass to the point were the body is reclined fully on its back in the passenger seat and the scroll rests on the rear window shelf.

For extra security, I buckle it up. It makes a dandy armrest, too. Also, you might want to make sure you have a stopper on your endpin or you'll end up with holes in your dashboard should you stop suddenly.

Hope this helps.

13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Oh.
    I kind of go the opposite way, if the car has one of those folding back seats that gives you a little access to the trunk.
    1. push the driver's seat all the way forward and then collapse it on the steering wheel (like somebody is going to get in the back)
    2. fully recline the passenger seat
    3. stick the body of the bass in the car, bridge facing either front or up at a 45ish degree angle
    4. as the bass goes in, you turn the lower bout towards the back window and the back flattens down towards the seat
    5 at this point the lower belly (below the bridge) should slide into the opening into the trunk
    6 then you can raise the passenger seat and slide back the driver's seat

If the car DOESN'T have one of those trunk pass throughs, you use the same procedure, but manuever the bass into the passenger side seat, scroll in the footwell by the floorboards and the lower bout up top on the headrest (the seat stays fully reclined). You can even seatbelt the bass in.

14. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Sounds like too much work. I like my Subaru Outback sport. I get so-so gas mileage, making room for the bass requires reclining one of the back seats so it rests on it's back, I can still fit 2 others in my car along w/ some cargo, and it's still small enough to fit in the tight parking spaces in San Francisco. Oh... did I mention that I have AWD too? And it zips! And mine is a 2000 with a 2.2 engine. All the new ones are at least 2.5, and if you get the STi turbo one... well....

I saw a Scion on the road this week. It's kinda weird and looks REALLY tiny - even tinier than a Mini Cooper! Are you sure Ed?

15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Yeah, just FYI
    LENGTH HEIGHT
    Scion xA 154.1" 60.2"
    MINI 142.8" 55.9"
    Honda Civic SI 165.8" 56.7"
    Suzuki AerioSX 166.5" 61"

I don't have the figures in front of me, but the cubic cargo capacity beat the other 3 cars upstairs and was only exceeded ( in this class) by the VW Golf. Headroom and hiproom beat out everything else in the class also.

Weird to you. OK, I can live with that.

16. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah... these days size can be misleading in terms of cargo. Apparently the Honda Element has more cargo space than a 4-Runner and most other SUVs. They have a 4WD version and definitely has better milage. I guess the looks can grow on you like most other things.

Sounds very practical... whats the MPG on it?

17. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Pretty sweet, 32 city/38 highway. although that's at the expense of horsepower 108hp/6000rpm. As I said, I'm not looking for a go buggy. Especially not since I'm driving a 1990 Dodge Shadow right now.

Subaru Outback SPort is a nice little wagon, I like the way the Protege or the new MX 3 wagon look as well. But the Toyota I had was just about bulletproof, VERY low maintenance.

18. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah that's pretty good!

Not to mention that you're saving thousands less. Apparently MSRP for the Scion is like $12k while my Subie was $20k when i bought it. Apparently they're only $16K these days, but the Scion looks like bang for the buck when you're wanting just a commuter type.

I know that my 2.2 engine puts out 140hp, but that years model very few problems. The only one I know of is a poorly designed rear bearing that breaks and costs like $200 to fix. I've done it 3 times already and hopefully I don't have to do it again. I got into an accident about a year ago and now the A/C isn't work (fender bender where my hood got squashed and the radiator pushed in, tho the auto-body guy managed to undo it without having to replace anything). Other than that it's been bulletproof save for the chincy interior that comes apart in places, but hey, I've had it for 4 years and still drives like a champ. The newer Subies look a whole lot better.

Hopefully the trend of small efficient makes will continue and people will get off of the "SUV is good" kick. The Prius is super popular here in SF. If you ask me, anyone who doesn't take their SUV off-road on at least onto a gravel road or doesn't need to carry a gear should be barred from having one. What a waste!

19. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    There's no substitute for reliability. My '97 Civic hatch has 90,000 miles and has had ZERO breakdowns of any kind - just change the oil & rotate the tires when you're supposed to, get the scheduled tunes ups, and drive. If you feel the same way about Toyota, then I'd say go for it.

20. Nick Ara

Nick Ara

Jul 22, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Ed,

Honestly, the 3/4 fits in the MINI, end-pin retracted, regardless of what the numbers may indicate. If you are seriously are considering the MINI, the only way to know about fit (and if you are willing to deal with the compromise....it IS a tight fit) is to stop by the dealer, bass in hand. I was lucky, a friend of mine drove out by my place and I was able to see for certain.

Most importantly, I was able to drive the car to see if it obstructed my view or operating the controls. Yes, it was tight; no, I couldn't fit any passengers in the back; yes, my front seat passenger (his wife) was comfortable. She's convinced I'm nuts, though.

The next time I'm by Jeff's place, I take a pix of said bass in Mini and send photographic proof of the event. ;)