Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

speaking of fish, any marine biology buffs want to help try identify one

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by xush, Oct 22, 2004.

1. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    so I'm watching an HD documentary on the Monterrey Kelp beds last night, and there's this thing that looks like an invertebrate squid-type thing, with an undulating fin on it's underside, propelling it along like a fish.

Looks fairly translucent/whitish though, shaped something like a squid or banana.
    What the heck was that thing?! I have no idea how to even begin to run a search for it.

2. I'd need some kinda picture or something... if its a documentary shouldn't it say what it is?

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    this was the one documentary I've ever seen with NO VOICE-OVER.
    Phoooey on that! The music wasn't even that good.

I'm searching invertebrates, but haven't found anything remotely similar.
    It was freeswimming at quite a pace, like a fish, but it didn't look like no fish, uh unh.

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I'll ask a buddy at work who used to live down there, he'll know for sure. A quick search turned up this: http://www.anomalies-unlimited.com/VSquid.html

Other web pictures and descriptions are a closer match to what you described, but I liked this particular picture. :cool:

I work in fisheries research, but I have no biology training at all, FWIW.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  7. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    that's about the closest match I've seen, but I'm just not sure. I'm still searching!

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Don't think so, this was definitely moving right along like a fish, very sleek, but with that strange undulating fin underneath.

Cucs are pretty funky too tho.

I wish I had a pic, but I think if I could find one, I'd pretty much know what it is already. Hope something turns up again. If they run the doc again I'll watch for credits, maybe there's a site with some info on the film.