Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaking of Food....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DirtDog, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Potluck

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No Potluck

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. I'll just stick to the carrots and dip...

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    In the spirit of basspro2's rant on the state of affairs of the modern world, I'd like to vent regarding the state of affairs on the social front:

What is up with all these potluck parties? What ever happened to the good old dinner party where the hosts planned and served a coordinated meal?

So, potluck or not?

DD

2. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    How hard is it to make a meal. If this is an invitation I like Pork Chops.

3. i vote for pork chops also

4. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    Not Potluck...I think I am still the old fashioned girl...I don't even let my guests help out in the kitchen...they have to sneak in to help me....:D

5. if everybody wants to, potlucks are fun

6. if i am doing the cooking for a dinner party, i only cook. i do not let others bring food or come in my kitchen. now if i am going to others, and i know they do not cook all that well, well, potluck is a great thing to do. at least you know you can eat something.:D

7. I do just the opposite: I eat my fill, then sneak out before the boring conversations begin. When my host(ess) calls me the next day and asks me where I went, I convince them we had an hour long conversation about the Renaissance and that they forgot because they had too much wine. :rolleyes: :D

I am a dog, I know.:p

Mike

Prime Mover, tell me that isn't you in your avatar. :eek:

8. Better yet, tell me it is!

9. What is this "potluck"?:confused:

10. An American expression meaning you eat whatever is available. It's like a surprise. ;)

Mike

11. I shoulda known - :rolleyes: etc.

So it's an evening where you and your mates gather at someones house and raid the fridge-freezer?
    Is it an alternative to a proper, old-fashioned dinner party?

12. a pot luck is where everybody in a big group each makesa different dish, then they meet at somebodies house and have a all around buffet and mingling, if your not a picky eater its great:)

13. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    ..and unfortunately, this way of doing things is getting to be the norm rather than the exception.

As Johnalex said: "How hard is it to make a meal?"...

Personally, when I invite people over for a meal, I tell them to just bring themselves...usually they'll bring a nice bottle of wine. And I do the same when I'm invited out. If it's a BBQ, that's one thing...BYOB (bring your own burgers/beef/beer)

I just find it that every time I'm invited out these days, I'm tasked with bringing something - in these cases, I'm careful to be the first to RSVP and "sign up" for the brie and baguette (or chips and salsa). If it's a BBQ, that's one thing...BYOB (bring your own burgers/beef/beer).

I'm kinda getting sick of the same old food each and every time - why can't we all be more like the Naked Chef????

Waiting for the potluck wedding reception...

DD, out.

14. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    Nah, not me in pic, however, if you want it to be...be my guest...I am much cuter and you can actually see my face ;) :D

15. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Already been there, it ain't :(

16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

1-800-DOMINOS:D

17. I see.... like a buffet, and it's pot-luck what people bring. I see now.

Actually, I think that's quite a good idea, but it's more of a normal party thing, much less formal than a proper dinner party.

I guess if you just want a night in with your mates it's quite a good idea. It's quite a different situation to a normal dinner party, and surely it'll have a totally different feel to it?

(Maybe I'll vote soon.............)

18. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    Ribs and Shiner Bock...that's a dinner party. Nothing else is needed (except paper towels and loud music):D

19. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    bring it on girl. All this talk, we need a picture!

Mark

So shall the debate will be, who's cuter, Prime, or BassSaxMan's girl?

20. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I think potluck is great! Since I'm a picky eater if I'm making something, then I know that there will be something there that I like to eat... :D