Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaking of Quality Control

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pommes, Aug 4, 2005.

1. pommes

pommes

Jun 13, 2005
    Germany
    Let's make a list which basses should be tried before bought and with which one is fine by just ordering one right away because of the good QC.

Ill start with 2:

Try before buy:
    Fender
    OLP

Buy right away:
    Ibanez

2. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    The only basses that i think really qualify as totally safe to buy string unplayed and sound unheard are custom makers' basses like Roscoe, Sadowsky, Fbass, JP, Valenti, Conklin, Nordstrand, Lecompte, etc.

Some that are ALMOST completely reliable IME are EBMMs, Cirrus(es), Spector, Warwick, Lakland (I know i've forgotten someone... :confused: )

Anything below that i'd HAVE to try before i bought, which includes Ibanez. When i ordered my BTB i had to get the pots fixed, get it over hauled with a set-up, and fix the wiring in the control cavity because it wasn't connected properly.

You should also take into account where it's being bought from. I'd order anything from BassNW or Basscentral without a second thought...not so with MF, Zzounds, Music123, etc.

3. pommes

pommes

Jun 13, 2005
    Germany
    okay, I think we can exclude the setup

this is something, every bass player should be able to do himself

My point was more about the bass itself. Taking Fender as the perfect example, you can get the most amazing piece of bass from the same series that you can get the most expensive piece of ****.

And I think speaking of the "basis", Ibys are about the same wether you like their basses or not.

4. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I'm pretty sure the electronics and pots are part of the "bass itself" And they aren't part of a set-up. I've seen fantastic SR506s and SR506s that were in horrible condition (such as not making ANY noise at all). Same with BTBs. I'd say fender and ibanez are on the same level as far as QC.

5. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    i find ibanez's have the worst qc of all. i bought one soundgear when i started playing. The frets were uneven and the neck needed to be adjusted every week.

6. pommes

pommes

Jun 13, 2005
    Germany
    okay, then we finally are where this thread should be

discuss about QC and make a list ;)

how about yamaha for example?

7. I bought my EBMM Ray5 unsighted and untouched and even after shipping to Australia, the neck and setup was absolutely rock solid.

It played like a dream right out of the case and after 5 months of playing, all it needs is a clean after every show.

Clearly a player from day one and the ultimate in QC in MVHO.

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    123 with my Sterling. Got it through Basscentral.com. It was imported overseas and awesome setup and playability from the second I got it out of the case.

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Pommes....One bass maker I have seen consistency in construction and set up are Blade bases from Switzerland. There's a store in Basel that had 6-7 on the floor and each one was literally identical. I ended up buying one closer to home. If you like the idea of an accurate repro of early 60's jazz basses, have a look. They're quite nice.