1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speakon 4 wire versus 2 wire

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stevem627, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Stevem627

Stevem627

Nov 30, 2005
    Corinth, TX
    I just purchased a 4 wire speakon to speakon cable to attach my Behringer EP 2500 power amp to my Avatar B210 and B115 cab combo and it doesn't work right. When I use a speakon to 1/4 cable all is well. Do I need a 2 wire speakon to speakon cable? I thought 4 wire was ok, but maybe Avatar uses something in their setup that makes this not work since they have 2 1/4 jack and a speakon.

Any help for a newbie here would be greatly appreciated.

2. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    I believe that 4 conductor Speakons are only used in biamp rigs such as Gallien-Krueger. You should be fine with 2 conductor Speakons, since that's the more common setup.

3. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, my G-K has the 4-wire setup, and it was a pain. The only way to bi-amp with those is to use the speakon, so I had to install one on my cab (Avatar 210). It's real convient and all, but I'm always worried that it'll fail at the wrong time. Right now, I plug into the 210 with the Speakon and daisy chain to the 115 with a 1/4" jack. I left two 1/4" jacks for the woofer and one for the tweeter in my cab, just in case I ever need to use a different head.

So, to answer your question, I don't know. I just rewired my whole cab (I put in a Selenium horn while I was at it, too).

4. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    The last thing I'd worry about is a speakon failing. I've switched our entire PA system to speakon connectors; they don't get pulled out at the worst time. My old GK cabinets, however, still have 1/4" phono plugs, and my Hartke amp does as well so there's no sense in changing it over.

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Are you bridging? A properly wired 4 conductor cable should be fine whether or not you're doing that, and you can easily rewire the cable yourself if you need to.

I believe that 4 conductor Speakons are only used in biamp rigs such as Gallien-Krueger.

Nope, they're pretty common for stereo and bridged mono applications too.

6. repoman

repoman

Aug 11, 2011
    Kinderhook NY
    Zombie thread......

I just bought a couple NL4FX connectors and 5 ft. of 12/2 cable... I connect the red wire on 1+ and the black on 1- ...correct?