1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speakon cable for GK

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ogge, May 18, 2011.

1. Ogge

Ogge

Oct 17, 2009
    When buying a brand new GK amp with bi-amp function, does it include a spekon cable that will work in bi-amp mode or do I have to buy a speakon cable separately?

Thanks!

2. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Not sure if it's still true, but at one time the cables came with the cabs but not amps.

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    If not, there is really nothing special about the GK speakon. Its just a 4 pin speakon cable, I made mine from 4 conductor 14awg SOOW cord and bought the ends from GC.

4. +1
    Remember though, that Bi-amp feature will only work with a compatible G-K cab.

5. Yes, it is the cabs that come with them, not the heads. I have been using a 4-pin Live Wire 12 gauge speakon with my 1001RB-II and 410 NEO for a while now and cannot tell a difference from the GK speakon. Hope this helps!

6. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    I have had three gk neo cabs that I purchased and all of them came with the speakon cable.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The MBE cabs do not come with cables.

8. Ogge

Ogge

Oct 17, 2009
    Thanks for the help guys!

Now I know I don't have to spend even more more money on cables after have spent alot of money on the amp and cab itself.

Actually I don't care whether it's a GK cable or something else, just wanted to save money. =) =) cheers!

9. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    You mean they're SUPPOSED to come with the cabs? I thought GC was doing me a favor by throwing that cable in for free. They even made me feel like a jerk about it lol!

Definitely don't use that cable with anything but a GK head.

10. Vanico

Vanico

Jan 31, 2012
    What exactly is a speakon
    cable?

11. Vanico

Vanico

Jan 31, 2012
    What exactly is a speakon cable?

12. Jeramaya

Jeramaya

Feb 18, 2007
    Madison, WI
    The guy at my GC either pretended he didn't know anything about it or really was unaware of it. I had to contact GK and they sent me one.

13. sKyLiNe505

sKyLiNe505

Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    I don't think the bi amp speakon cable makes a difference. My church has a gk 1001 rb-ii and a gk neo 412 and before we bought the bi-amp speakon cable we used a regular 2 conductor speakon cable. We compared both cables and it sounds the same. Just save a little bit of money and buy a regular spekon cable.

14. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
  15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I got 2 ends from a local electronics supply shop for 5.21 a piece (You'll want Neutrik NL4FX) and I got 3 feet of 12 gauge 4 conductor communications cable, I couldn't find that large of shielded speaker cable in my city. I got the cable from an electrical supply shop, it was free since they usually sell commercial amounts and I was polite.

The communications wire was twisted which I have been told helps for shielding, don't know if it's true or not but my cabs run just as quiet as with the one pro made cable I have.

16. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Any conversation between the speaker output of any amp and a speaker/cabinet needs to be UN SHIELDED . NO twist, zip, nada. Just two conductors, of EQUAL gauge running parallel inside the jacket.

Same reason you would not use the same cable normally to connect your bass to the input of the amp. "Shielding" a speaker cable puts stress on the output stage of an amplifier, that much I have been told and is evidenced by the fact that every musical equipment manufacturer since the invention of electricity uses a two conductor cable with no shielding.

17. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    years back when I bought this amp head above new, that cable was in the box amp came in. I only used SWR cabs with that head so never used that Speakon cable.

Later cut that 6' cable in half, bought some speakon ends and made me two, regular 3' speaker cables. Cables getting used now.