speakon cable quality

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lin fung, Mar 31, 2020.

1. lin fung

lin fung

Oct 9, 2002
    St. Louis, MO
    Is there a discernible difference in sound quality between two different brands or quality levels of speakon cables?

I believe I have heard that unlike instrument cables in which there can indeed be a discernible difference, speakon cables will be essentially indistinguishable.

By way of example, I've linked below two different brands of speakon cables at greatly differing price points.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Mogami Gold Speaker SO speakON Cable - 3'

Pro Co S14NN-10 Speakon-Speakon Speaker Cable - 10'

2. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    There's no reason to get a "high-performance" speaker cable--the Pro-co one is fine. The thing to watch for is counterfeit Speakon connectors; the real ones are made by Neutrik. I don't think Sweetwater or ProCo either one would knowingly sell a product with a counterfeit connector, but there ARE some predatory retailers out there.

For those who didn't bother to look, the Mogami Gold speaker cable is $88 for a 3-foot cable. The ProCo is $33 for a 10'. Among the other assertions, the Mogami cable claims to be 'ultra-low noise'. I'm kinda saddened to see Sweetwater flogging this sort of thing, but hey...if idiots are determined to spend money of this kind of hogwash, I guess I can't blame a retailer for catering to them--that's what makes capitalism great, I suppose. :D

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  3. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

ProCo

SwitchGear and BasturdBlaster like this.
  4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Nothing wrong with the ProCo cable, that's a genuine Neutrik connector.

It looks like the ProCo cable uses NL-2 connectors with 2 conductor cable while the Mogami uses NL-4 connectors and 4 wire cable. In this application there is no benefit to the extra 2 conductors as they are not used in 99.99% of all bass applications. NL-2 plugs mate with either NL-2 or NL-4 jacks so that's not an issue either.

6. lin fung

lin fung

Oct 9, 2002
    St. Louis, MO
    Thanks for your help guys. This is the kind of info I was looking for.

7. dabis

dabis

Mar 27, 2016
    Barcelona
    I have and A/B'd Pro Co Power Plus 12-2 (aprox. 20€ 1m) and Evidence Audio The Siren (80€ 1m), and didn't found an audible difference to me through my rig. I had a deal with a 1m bulk Evidence, and built the cable with 2 Neutrik connectors (NL-4 as NL-2 weren't available on the shop). One thing it's for sure, both are good quality of materials and construction to my eyes and experience.
    LifeLines 1/4"-1/4" - Pro Co Sound
    The Siren Speaker Cable

8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Either cable will meet your needs. Whichever you buy, get it just long enough to meet your needs. You don’t want coils in your runs. Cables should lie straight and flat or snake back and forth over the floor if you have to.

I buy mogami in bulk to make shielded studio microphone and patch cables. The cable quality is excellent and you pay for that. Their cables are more flexible than others, in part due to the rubber but also they use a fine stranded spiralled wrap vs a braid like other brands use for the ground shield. I find that this provides better shielding which is good for noisy environments like when near computer and monitor power supplies.

When coiling a cable, look up the “over under” method. It helps preserve the cable by not stressing it and helps when unwinding.

NOTE just to be clear: Speaker wires do not use shielded cables like a mic or patch cable would. Buy a cable intended for speaker use when connecting an amp to a speaker cabinet.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  9. BrotherMister

BrotherMister

Nov 4, 2013
    Scotland
    PVG Membership
    A friend of mine who is sound engineer/recording studio guru once told me there are only two types of cables:

Cables that work, and cables that don’t work.

10. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    What about when used for PA applications, 2 or 4 wire cable ?

11. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Note to others reading this, never used shielded cable for speaker interconnects.

12. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    When biamping, 4 wire and NL-4 are necessary. Otherwise 2 wire and NL-2 or NL-4 are fine.

Bob Lee (QSC) and jnewmark like this.
  13. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Inactive

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    How do you tell if the proCo is legit?

14. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    ProCo is a legit enough company--they're big and they've been around a long time, and while they're not exactly known for making boutique-grade, 'high-end' cabling, they wouldn't survive that long if they ripped off their customers--MI-types and music merchandisers--with bogus connectors. Not to mention that Neutrik themselves wouldn't sell to them if they were ever caught using the counterfeits, and Neutrik supplies the industry a whole lot more connectors than just the SpeakOn line. I think the biggest concern about counterfeits should be when buying loose connectors for making your own cabling; you HAVE to buy from a known source like Parts Express, Mouser, etc. People known to actually sell Neutrik connectors...if you just buy from some unknown source on Amazon, I think you're running some risk of getting fraudulent connectors. At least, so I'm told...I've never encountered a fake NL4 my own self, but I've heard or read plenty of accounts from people whose opinions I trust.

And while I trust that Sweetwater wouldn't carry a product that has a bogus Neutrik connector, I must admit that my faith in them as an online marketer has been somewhat diminished by reading their glowing recommendation of the superior sonic properties of that $88 speaker cable.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Al Kraft and Bob Lee (QSC) like this.
  15. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    See the cashier on the way out ;)

16. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Because it's a legit company that's been building cables for over 40 years.

17. I would question that a spiral wound shield is superior to a braided shield, against electrostatic noise. I've always been impressed with Mogami's offerings though.

For speaker cable, the short lengths used between a bass amp and cabinet, almost anything will work. For ruggedness, I would choose a #14 or #16 stranded conductors with a good overall neoprene jacket. The jacket is important as the speakon requires a substantial jacket for the collet clamp to tighten against. Anything less, and the strain relief will be compromised.
    I've used SJOOW, but lately I've been using # 14 trailer cable; it has a thick thermoplastic outer jacket that remains flexible, even at low temperatures, and it's relatively cheap. It comes in with all sorts of different conductor counts, so it's perfect for biamping and even small speaker snakes for PA use.

18. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Inactive

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I meant how do you tell by physically looking at them, I ask because I have proCos

19. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Inactive

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I’m sorry my bad, my cables are procraft..

20. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    That's a tougher question. Knock-offs and non-branded SpeakOns are easy to identify, true counterfeit parts can be tough. I haven't seen any instances of ProCo using counterfeit parts.