Speakon cable question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jonno1707, Jul 8, 2008.

1. jonno1707

jonno1707

Apr 1, 2006
    Nanuet N.Y.
    I have been using a speakon 4 pole cable that I had gotten a while back with a GK head and was wondering if it makes a difference if it is 2 or 4 pole when using it full range from my TF550b into a Epi UL4x10??
    From what I understand poles 3 & 4 are for the high end in a bi-amp setup and 1 & 2 are full range.
    It seems to work fine but would I be better off getting just a 2 pole?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Don't fix what ain't broken.

3. It doesnt matter as long as you connect the correct poles inthe 4 pole cable

4. jonno1707

jonno1707

Apr 1, 2006
    Nanuet N.Y.
    I haven't touched the cable at all so I guess they are wired properly because it seems to work perfect..

5. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I had a 6ft 4 pole speakon cable that came with my GK1001RBI head awhile back too. I never used GK cabs but a couple years later I went and bought 2 more speakon connectors, cut the 6ft cable in half, added the new connectors to make 2 , 3ft cables to use with my 2 SWR cabs, only connected the -1+1 at each end, so there was excess wire sticking out of the casing. And I did not remove the tinned wire ends and always had problems with the wire slipping out of those screws. I later cutback more wire on those ends and it made better connect when the screws crushed the wire, no more slippage. Just my .02 cause I try to go cheap back then and did not reaize I coulda just used the GK cable as is and just bought a new 3ft speakon as a 2nd cable.

So now, Im back to using a 6ft and 3ft speakon speaker cables (bayoucables) cause my GB head only accepts speakons into the head. The other 2 3 footers are backups now. So if you can use it as is cool, if you need a 2nd cable buy a new one to length you need. And if you try to go on the cheap like me back then, be sure and do a cleaner job than I did. Peace.

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

No! The "standard", if you can call it that, is four pole hardware wired
    +1 > +1
    -1 > -1
    The GK and other bi-amp amps then also use
    +2 > +2
    -2 > -2
    for the tweeter amp.

Regular cabs with speakcons just ignore the second pair.

Paul

7. if you have not changed it, I will trade you a regular speakon cable for it. I need a GK cable for my gk1001rbII to my gk cab

8. jonno1707

jonno1707

Apr 1, 2006
    Nanuet N.Y.
    OK so if I understand correctly I am perfectly fine with the cable I have and don't need to mess with it correct??

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You said it works. You'd only have a problem if it didn't.

10. jonno1707

jonno1707

Apr 1, 2006
    Nanuet N.Y.
    Thanks guys!

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021