1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speakon cable/splitter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Merijn, Apr 16, 2018 at 4:50 AM.

1. Merijn

Merijn

Aug 21, 2017
    Hello!

I have been checking out a number of Class D amps lately. The Aguilar TH 350 is my favourite at the moment. The one isue I have is that it has only one speakon output and I have been meaning to use two cabs in order to use the full power output of the amp. Has anyone dealt with this "problem". I found a speakon splitter box online. Would this be a solution in order to be able to use two 8 ohm cabs? Example:

Speakon Splitter, NL4, 1 in 2 out - Pulse

Are there any possible problems I am neglecting here? Thank you for your advice!

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I could be wrong as I've never used a splitter like that, but I don't believe that's gonna do what you want it to do.

Why not get cabs with an output and run one into the other?

3. Merijn

Merijn

Aug 21, 2017
    I could daisy-chain the cabs I suppose, but wouldn't that result in an impedance of 16 ohm instead of 4? Or I could buy a 4 ohm cab but I do not want to do that :)

4. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    No. Common misconception - daisy chained cabs are still parallel.:)

mbelue likes this.
  5. RedJag

RedJag

Mar 2, 2016
    Dug up from an older thread. Hope this is helpful.
    When running into an 8 ohm load the amp only puts out 175 Watts. When it sees a 4 ohm load it puts out the full 350.

6. Merijn

Merijn

Aug 21, 2017
    Hi there,

Yes very helpful. I think I had already found the same thread. Wasn't looking well enough before. Many thanks!

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah most cabs have that built in, just daisy chain them. Make sure your cabs have two Speakons first though, but I've not seen a good modern cab that doesn't already have this built in.

8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The box that you referenced yields the same as parallel daisy chaining two cabinets. Both parallel connections, two ways of doing the same thing.

If you are into DIY, I built one that accepts up to three speakons and three ¼”. It allows mixing cabinets with different interfaces:

Breakout Box

Everything is connected in parallel internally. Because it is a metal hammond box, the ¼” jacks are isolated from the chassis. The speakons are plastic so they are already isolated.

566A872F-7A2A-43C7-B1EC-C2FF437CD3A3.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 6:49 PM
  9. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I don't see why the parallel adapter wouldn't do exactly the same thing electrically as daisy chaining the cabs.

Merijn likes this.