Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speakon cable with DB750 ... HELP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Black 'n Tan, Sep 17, 2005.

1. I'm trying to connect a DB750 to a GS212. I don't have a cable with speakon connectors at both ends. All I have is a cable with speakon on one end and 1/4" on the other. When I put the speakon connection on the head and the 1/4" into the cabinet I'm not getting any sound at all.

What's wrong here?

2. jsbarber

jsbarber Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    I have speakons on my cabinet and my recollection is that, at least for my cabinet, the speakon connector on the cabinet has 4 pins, but only two are used. [If I recall correctly they are termed 1+, 1-, 2+, 2-.] If your's is the same it is possible that the combination of pins that are used on the amp and the connector are not consistent. i.e. your 1/4 jack is wired to the wrong pins on the speakon, for the amp you are connecting to.

Just a guess.

Added Later - the DB 750 is a very high output amplifier, as I'm sure you already realize. It is not recommended that you operate such an amplifier at high volumes using a 1/4" jack. There is not enough surface area on the jack to reliably conduct the current required. i.e. don't crank it up too much with that 1/4" jack being used (assuming you get the cable to work!!)

3. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    There's no problem with using a 1/4 inch cable on the 750. I've never had a problem the couple of times that I've done it... I'd try your cable with a different amp and cab and see if it works. It just sounds like a dead cable to me.

Good luck. The 750 is the most fantastic road amp on the planet. My 359 stays at home where it's safe.

4. How do you change from +1 to +2 ????

Where can I just order the right cable online and make sure I'm getting the right cable?

5. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    You need a 4 pole Speakon. When you take it apart, you will see that the cable wires are screwed into metal clips with either +/- 1 or +/- 2 marked on the casing. Undo the -1 and move it to +2. Almost every speaker cable they sell in GC is simpatico with your needs. Bridged mono cables are a complete mystery to GC people, so don't worry about that.

I appologize if my remarks were incorrect. I may have sown confusion since I have never had to use a speakon to 1/4. I have only used speakon to speakon.

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Just solder. Unscrew one end, remove the wire on -1 and solder it (really well) to +2.

Failing that, a tech in a store will do it for $5-10 at a guess. Maybe for free if you buy the cable there.

7. Excellent, I'll give it a look tonight!

8. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Cool, just try not to think about the 925W running through your solder joint.

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

That's not a typical bridged mono cable, just a typical mono cable. If you buy a 2 conductor Speakon cable from most vendors, that's what you'll get unless you specify otherwise.

These don't work. You need to change one end to +1, +2

A cable with 1+, 1- on the speaker end and 1+, 2+ on the amp end is a typical bridged mono configuration. :cool: It sounds like that's what this particular amp requires? (Edit: NOPE, see below in thread!)

BTW, if your Speakon is the newer series, there's no need to solder, you just unscrew the barrel and unscrew the terminal that you need to switch, swap to the needed terminal, and screw away.

10. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    By the way, that was a joke, re-reading it, that would scare the crap outta me if someone had said it to me.

11. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    FYI, I have been using Speakons since they initially came out with the ring you twisted to lock them. They have NEVER been solder connectors - they have always had setscrews, albeit with those crappy little copper barrels that were almost impossible to get into the connector body on the early ones . . . . if you have some that are soldered, most likely someone went "genius" on them and decided not to use it as designed . . .

On, and as others have said 1+/1- to 1+/1- is the standard for a two conductor speakon cable. 1+/1- to 1+/1- and 2+/2- to 2+/2- is standard for a four conductor (and is what GK uses for biamping with their SBX and RBH cabinets.) The 1+/2+ to 1+/1- is not a "typical" configuration, but will give bridged output on amps that are wired appropriately (and a failure on a GK other than the 2000, since it would put the 700W and 50W amps together - UGLY!). If you do use a bridge cable, mark is brightly, frequently, and well, since it can spell disaster if it gets into the wrong gear . . . . where the normal two and four wire cables can't really hurt anything, no matter what . . .

Myself, I have a lot more respect for manufacturers that put on a third speakon for bridged output, and still let you use a normal two wire cable out of it - they take care of the wire swaps in the head, and all your cables can stay the same . . . . much less chance for blowing something up right before a gig or some such . . .

And one last thing - the link posted by Jack to Neutrik is not for the series typically seen on bass gear - the STX is a new, armored, extreme power connector release for the touring PA market. The page for the stuff seen on most instrument amps is:

http://www.neutrik.com/images/ock/downloads/Media_293225003.pdf

- Tim

12. Passinwind

You're right on all counts there. I've run into quite a few old ones that have been soldered though. Sometimes it could've been for lack of more barrel connectors, I assume.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You should be thoroughly confused by now. The DB750 has no "bridged mono" state. It's always mono and it's always (or never) bridged. It uses a standard 1+/1- configuration on both ends of a Speakon cable. If you are connecting one end to a 1/4-inch tip-sleeve (TS) plug, hook 1+ to the tip and 1- to the sleeve. DO NOT use a cable configured for bridged mono (1+/2+). You will get zilch. I suspect that is your problem ... your speakon is configured 1+/2+.

14. munji .... you are CORRECT

The cable says "MONO BRIDGED Speakon +1/+2 TO 1/4" TS"

So, what exactly can I do to this cable to make it work???

15. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification

Munji is correct about this!

DB

16. OK great. Now, can I get my existing cable to work ... re-solder the 1/4" end somehow?

PLEASE HELP

17. Passinwind

The end you need to fix is the Speakon one, not the 1/4" side. Have you opened up the Speakon and confirmed which wiring scheme it's currently using?

18. I'm not sure how to open it. Do you have to use two pairs of pliers?

Again, the cable says it is "MONO BRIDGED Speakon +1/+2"

Can this cable be re-wired to work?

19. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    alright, open up the neutrik connector. You should see 2 wires running 2 of the four leads on the connector. One to the lead labeled '+1' and one to the lead labeled '+2'. Unscrew the set screw holding the wire into the +2 connector. Pull the wire out, and put it into the '-1' socket, tighten its set screw, reassemble the connector, and voila, you are ready to go.

20. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    The collar on the bottom of the speakon should just unscrew, sliding back down the cable, and allowing you access to the innards.