Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speakon cables and connectors

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Bob Gollihur, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Just a quick note to fellow AI and other amp/cab owners that use Speakon connectors. I had a hard time finding them a while back, especially for bridged connections, and so made my own. While they are more readily available now, they all seem to be mega-long and mega-expensive, and I've yet to see a commercially produced bridged amp cable.

Recently I got some heavy speaker cable and connectors so I can build them for clients and others (recently sent ChrisF one for his Clarus), so if you need connectors, cable, or a custom made cable of a specific length, let me know.

[​IMG]

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Bob -

You wouldn't have any Speakon chassis jacks around to measure, would you? I'd like to convert my G-K 400RB to speakons, but the back panel is kind of crowded, and I'm not sure if they'll fit where the 1/4" jacks were located. I don't have any other space to mount them that I can find.

Also, someone mentioned to me that they've seen Speakons that still take a 1/4 plug in the center, which I can't see as being possible.

Comments?

3. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    There is no physical way I can think of to combine a Speakon and 1/4" - maybe they were thinking of the 1/4"/XLR combination jacks.

Visit www.switchcraft.com and search on HPC, the line of Speakon connectors they have. There is a 5 page document in PDF format you can download and view/print, with technical drawings of the connectors so you can check the physical requirements.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Thanks, Bob.

I had a feeling that he was wrong - the few times I've glanced at them, there seemed to be no way a 1/4" could be integrated into a Speakon.

Unfortunately, Switchcraft's site seems to be down right now. And, I had a thought (I know, I should keep it because I may never have another) - if I mount one Speakon and leave one 1/4" jack on my G-K, I'll increase the versatility, and can still daisy-chain two 8 ohm cabs. I'm pretty sure I can cram one Speakon into my GK, put a pair would be a v-e-r-y tight fit.

I'll wait until my new Bag End S15-D shows up, since I'm not 100% sure it has parallel Speakon input jacks. I could swear the one I tested did, but their website makes no mention of Speakons in this cab.

5. Why does AI use Speakon connectors? Do they provide better sound than the standard 1/4"?

Bob, can you make Speakon-to-1/4 cables (for future reference, when I finally buy my Contra)?

Thanks.

6. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Speakon connectors are the wave of the future for speaker connections. They have a laundry list of advantages over 1/4" jacks/plugs, and are becoming a requirement in European countries. I have been making custom cables for my Contra/Clarus customers and others, no problem.