Speakon cables stuck in cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rick1906, Jul 10, 2017.

1. rick1906

rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    SD
    I'm not sure how it happened, but I have two speakon cables that are stuck in AccuGroove Tri-112L cabinet. If I could get one out, I could probably force the other out. The release latches are facing each other which makes it difficult to get a grip on either one. Any advice on how to get them out?

2. Picture?

3. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Maybe a flathead screwdriver or other tool to release latches?

Tbone76, gebass6, AltGrendel and 2 others like this.
  4. rick1906

rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    SD
    Here's a pic...

Attached Files:

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You could always disassemble the connectors. Maybe after simpler efforts have been exhausted.

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    This is pretty much the only way.

Now for the real perplexing question... who though it was a good idea to mount the connectors so that the release latches are facing each other??? They are so close that there's no way they can't jamb up.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Holy mother of...

Seriously, what mental patient thought of that?

8. sstillwell

sstillwell

Nov 20, 2008
    So wrong on so many levels....why weren't those installed with the latches oriented UP? For that matter, why not give an inch or so between the connectors? Why not SN 666 instead of 333? :)

Josh Kneisel and agedhorse like this.
  9. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    I don't understand how that even happens...

Would one not see the output connectors are (a) too close (b) not oriented the same ?

Would one NOT confirm proper functionality of all features before sending it out?

Yikes

Aqualung60 likes this.
  10. I wonder if in fact the aftermarket plug might have allowed it to plug in upside down?

Jeff Scott likes this.
  11. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Hammer... big hammer... BFH.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  12. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    You have to figure, if they got locked in place, they can be unlocked.

To unlock, the connector has to be turned counter clockwise. I would try using a tool such as a screwdriver to fully disengage the latch then wiggle the barrel counterclockwise.

It might be necessary to have a second set of hands and simultaneously do this to both connectors at once.

mikeyjm2, AltGrendel, eagle67 and 2 others like this.
  13. + This, plus lots of patience and you'll probably have luck and no damage to either the plugs or jacks.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  14. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    That, and then replace them with Neutriks.

15. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    It looks like one end of that cable was a new, different connector. I just purchased a bunch and fixed some old cables with that same connector. I bet the thing was put together backwards. I would disassemble the connector to the right. The one that does not have a cable wrap leading into it.

16. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    All good suggestions. As for me, it's a comfort to learn I'm not the only one this sort of thing happens to...

wave rider likes this.
  17. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    piece of dental floss....to pull the latch

18. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    I'm pretty sure that those cable ends can only be assembled one way, and that they're not the issue here... Just a guess, but *maybe* that jack plate was assembled during the time the older speakons(NL2FCs) with the sleeve that you pulled to unlock then rotate out - so, the cab builder didn't even consider the possibility in the pics above... I actually prefer those older style speakons, since I find them to be more user friendly for some jack plates

19. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    I did one of mine that was a little odd. That's how I know. When you slide the pieces together, it's not too hard to get the center piece in there upside down.

20. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Not on a real Neutrik part. Maybe on a fake or counterfeit, but the Neutrik parts are pretty precision.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021