1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SpeakOn Cables

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jismy, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Jismy

Jismy

Jun 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Are all speakon cables wired for use as 4 pole and 2 pole connectors?

2. I think so, Im sure its only the connectors that are different not 100% though.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Some can only be used as 2-pole because they have only two wires and a two-pole connector. There aren't many of those around these days. Most 4-pole Speakons can be used as 2-pole, unless they've been wired for use when bridging an amp.

4. Jismy

Jismy

Jun 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ontario
    k thanks. My cable is pretty new so sounds like chances are it's 4-pole.

5. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Munji's right.

Standard 2-pole connector wiring would be straight through:

1+ to 1+
    1- to 1-

Standard 4-pole connector wiring would be straight through:

1+ to 1+
    1- to 1-
    2+ to 2+
    2- to 2-

Bridged 4-pole connector wiring would be:

1+ to 1+
    2+ to 1-

There are larger Speakon connectors, but you are unlikely to run into those outside of larger PA applications.

-Mark

6. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    You own it? Just unscrew one end and see how many wires are hooked up. It'll be either two or four.

You could probably look at the stamping on the side of the cable and see how many wires are in the cable.

You can also just look into the end of the Speakon and see how many terminals there are. Again, it'll be either two or four.

-Mark

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    +1

All the 2-pole ones I've encountered have a different locking arrangement than any of the newer NL4s too. It's a sliding plastic ring rather than a metal plate.

NL2:
    [​IMG]

NL4:
    [​IMG]

There are at least two other flavors of NL4 cable connectors floating around too though, not counting the Switchcraft clones.

8. RyreInc

RyreInc

May 11, 2006
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Just because the plugs have 4 poles does not mean that they are all connected; I've seen many NL4s with just the +1 and -1 leads used, as is the case with my cable.