Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speakon configuration question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerry J, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've been using a single Speakon to 1/4" that is set up for bridged mono. I need to convert the 1+/2+ to 1+/1- for the parallel mode on my PLX amps.

The red lead is wired at the 1/4" to the tip. Which connection, at the Speakon is the tip? I would tend to think that it's the 1+, right?

I do know that it really doesn't make that much difference, polarity-wise as long as I match the configuration of both cables but I want to make sure that when the signal sine wave swings positive that the speaker is traveling in the proper direction. Right? :confused:

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    When you open up the Speakon, the terminals are all labelled. What a concept :cool:

3. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thanks Brianrost, but I know about the labelling. It sure is darn hard to see, huh?

But I'm asking which is the tip on the Speakon?:)

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Well, the tip is usually + on a 1/4", right? So, the +1 should be the equivalent on the Speakon.

At least, that's how I wired mine, and the magic smoke hasn't escaped from my gear...yet.

5. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    The answers above are correct: +1 on the speakon should go to the tip on the 1/4".

Regarding your other comment: "I do know that it really doesn't make that much difference, polarity-wise as long as I match the configuration of both cables but I want to make sure that when the signal sine wave swings positive that the speaker is traveling in the proper direction. Right?"

This is right as long as you're playing without PA support. You could wire either +1 or -1 to the 1/4" tip and be fine. But if you're going through the house system, it must be +1 to tip in order to be in phase with the house speakers.

Gantt

6. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Page 16 of the PLX owners manual shows the different Speakon wiring for stereo and bridge mode, including which terminal is + like the tip of a 1/4" plug.

PLX owners manuals are online if you don't have one: http://www.qscaudio.com/pdfs/plxuser.pdf

7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    as a recent PLX owner, and to echo (somehat) the previous post...

QSC manuals are top notch!!!

fred

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Being "in phase" with the house speakers

1. is nearly impossible to guarantee (you've got a 50/50 chance)

2. doesn't matter

how's that? :) Your amp speakers are far enough from the PA speakers (if the venue is large enough to warrant a PA) that for most frequencies phase is a crapshoot anyway.

Also, after going through all the processing gear that the house system uses, the absolute phase could be this way or that, who knows. And, depending on the processing they have (this includes any analog EQ), the phase at various frequencies will be shifted anyway.

I'd also bet that some amps have inverted polarity between the output stage and the DI out - not on purpose but because it just worked out that way.

Now, there might be other reasons to make sure that you wire the connector up right. But maintaining absolute polarity isn't one of them.

9. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Good point, geshel.:D

I got everything wired for sound. Looks like a winner. Thanks for all the help, gang. Much appreciated.

10. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Geshel is right about the all of the phase stuff - I was trying to keep it simple and not get into all that. We actually own a phase tester which emits a pulse through the selected speaker cab. A hand-held device which has red / green indicator lights is then held in front of the cab and the green light indicates speaker cone moving out rather than in (red) with the first sine wave. We learned that all of what Geshel says is true, it's very complicated, and in the end it probably doesn't matter if the bass rig and the mains are in phase. In some cases though it will matter. Suffice it to say that +1 from the speakon should be wired to 1/4" tip, whatever reason you want to use to justify it.

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Thanks. I wrote the PLX manual. :)

For bridged mono, you would use the upper Speakon connector, and make sure the speaker cable is connected to pins 1+ and 2+, which are equivalent to the red terminals of channels 1 and 2, respectively.

12. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Gee Bob, I didn't know that you spoke Spanish, French, too. :D

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    German, too! :p